Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of 13 KRRC on 20 July 1916 - Help Needed

Tinkicka

Hi Forum Members,

I am currently researching the service of my great-uncle Benjamin Leyshon - see this thread - https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/272955-map-reference-inconsistency-and-pozieres-british-cemetery/

Benjamin served with the 3rd Battalion AIF and the 3rd Battalion relieved what I believe to be the 13th Kings Royal Rifle Corp (KRRC) on 20 July 1916 in the area near la-Boisselle, in the Somme. The 3rd Battalion war diary only indicates “Guides met the BN and the BN moved to reserve area SOUTH Side of SAUSAGE VALLEY & relieved 13th KRR at 0130 on 20th July”.

I have conducted a search on the 13 KRRC on this forum but have not come up with many details of their location on or around that date.

The Sausage Valley takes up quite a bit of real estate on the trench maps and I am wondering if anyone has a more accurate location of the 13th KRRC on that date?

Thanks

Tinkicka (Brett)

Brett

The WD for 13 KRRC records that on 11/07/1916 the Bn was in the Second Line and gives the co ordinates X 14 b 4 3  - 7 0 along road to 14 d 2 8  - 15 c 1 6 North East corner of Boisselle. On 12/07/1916 the Bn moved to the front line x 9 c 9 1 to x 15 c 8 1. The Bn moved back to the second line on the 16th and returned to the front line on the 18th where it was relieved in the evening of 19th by 3rd Australian Infantry. The Bn had been in support on the attack on Poisiers (sic) on 15th. 

There are no maps in the WD of 111 Infantry Brigade or HQ General Staff 37 Div but you can plot the positions on this NLS map dated April 1916.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464801

Brian

Hi Brian,

thanks for this info, just the sort of thing I was hoping for!

Kind Regards,

Brett

Brett, here are Brian's 4 points on a Sep 1 1916 map.

image.png.8ebb59c5ba4c2421f4c41373792fc1fc.png

Thanks WhiteStarLine,

I will be doing some plotting in the coming days.

An initial look at the front line position puts it a bit west of the position reported in the War Diary of the General Staff HQ 1st Australian Division two days later.

Brett

Brett ,

You can also try www.tmapper.com , if you want to do some more plotting .

Good luck with you research .   DD

• 1 month later...

Brian,

I have been doing some more searching and came across this thread -

In Post #4 - there is a reference to the front lines, reportedly taken from the 13th KRRC diary and it has the trench map reference as X 9 c 9 1 to X 15 b 8 1.

This is slightly different to your reference of X 9 c 9 1 to X 15 c 8 1. They are different grid squares and when plotted give a different orientation to the front line.

Can I ask you to check your reference again and confirm if it is a b or a c?

Brett

1 hour ago, Tinkicka said:

Brian,

I have been doing some more searching and came across this thread -

In Post #4 - there is a reference to the front lines, reportedly taken from the 13th KRRC diary and it has the trench map reference as X 9 c 9 1 to X 15 b 8 1.

This is slightly different to your reference of X 9 c 9 1 to X 15 c 8 1. They are different grid squares and when plotted give a different orientation to the front line.

Can I ask you to check your reference again and confirm if it is a b or a c?

Brett

Brett

On closer inspection it is x 15 b 8 1. Bn HQ at x 14 b 8 2

Sorry about that, I blame my 70 year old eyes.

Apologies to White Star Line, I hope he can amend his map.

Cheers

Brian

001.JPG

Hi Brian,

no need to apologise, that figure could be interpreted as a c by younger eyes.

The BN HQ reference could be helpful as well.

Regards,

Brett