Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leeds pals, brothers

garfyboy

Good morning all

i have just picked up this wonderful postcard, I’m pretty sure they are brothers as their eyes look similar, I don’t suppose there are any Leeds pals experts out there that may recognise these two chap?

message on the rear to Edith...., Clifford and billy, I would guess Edith being a sister from her brother with billy probably being a William

5EECAA2C-5829-4D3F-B5F2-88A8E1D62C01.jpeg

9BA46D7D-3478-41CB-AE83-49CEEAD2C0F1.jpeg

A toughie! Took the view Clifford rare name - searched for that and a Wm and Edith living in Leeds

There is a Clifford Leak b 1899-1900, elder brother William b 1895-6. Elder sister Edith b 1890-1. Leeds. There was also an elder sister Alice Maud b 1893-4. A possible. Parents WIlliam and Sarah Ann. A possible. How you go about proving it??? Cannot immediately see any medal or other military records. So probably not

edit

Did an ancestry search on MICs Cliffords in W Yorks. There are 291! There are 5213 Williams. There are 9 Leaks none with the relevant christian names. 

Edited by Mark1959

2 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

A toughie! Took the view Clifford rare name - searched for that and a Wm and Edith living in Leeds

There is a Clifford Leak b 1899-1900, elder brother William b 1895-6. Elder sister Edith b 1890-1. Leeds. There was also an elder sister Alice Maud b 1893-4. A possible. Parents WIlliam and Sarah Ann. A possible. How you go about proving it??? Cannot immediately see any medal or other military records. So probably not

edit

Did an ancestry search on MICs Cliffords in W Yorks. There are 291! There are 5213 Williams. There are 9 Leaks none with the relevant christian names. 

Clifford Leak, born 10 May 1899 in Leeds, served in the Royal Navy from 16 May 1917. Service No. 26168.

51 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Did you you find an MIC/Award Roll for James and Robert. Neither listed here:

https://leedspalsvolunteerresearchers.wordpress.com/alphabetical-list-of-pals/

57 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

There may also be a set of Broadbents. 

A Samuel and a John Broadbent listed here -  https://leedspalsvolunteerresearchers.wordpress.com/alphabetical-list-of-pals/   -   but have yet to find them in a census living with Clifford, Billy and Edith.

JP

Follow up on the SD jacket these were made from November 1914 to June 1915, so the man on the left probably enlisted some time late 1914 to mid 1915, however it could be later as these jackets continued to be issued until supplies ran out. 

Excellent work folks, I wouldn’t have thought there would have been so many family’s with a Clifford, William and Edith in the Leeds area!

its probably safe to to say that these chaps may stay unidentified for now, maybe one day

Thanks for everybody’s efforts

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to research on the Leeds Pals, seemingly with every man who served in the unit ( 15 Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment ,Prince of Wales Own ).

The name of two men with the first names Clifford and William, and the same surname gave the following results. 

62027 BENNETT, Clifford 15/17th Battalion, POW

62035 BENNETT, Joseph William 15/17 Battalion, Res ( reserve?) 13/3/19

or possibly , but in my opinion less likely, 39660 BENNETT, William KIA 23/5/18.

15/1217 EVANS, Clifford Res 25/4/19

17/1038 EVANS, William discharged 1/8/17

15/638 METCALFE, Clifford 

77786 METCALFE , John William.

In my opinion the first two BENNETT's are the best match , as their serial numbers are on 8 apart, and are in the same battalions.I am not on ancestry , so someone else may like to do some digging ( and I may have missed some names  ).

Cheers

3 hours ago, AngusMalcolm said:

Here is a link to research on the Leeds Pals, seemingly with every man who served in the unit ( 15 Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment ,Prince of Wales Own ).

The name of two men with the first names Clifford and William, and the same surname gave the following results. 

62027 BENNETT, Clifford 15/17th Battalion, POW

62035 BENNETT, Joseph William 15/17 Battalion, Res ( reserve?) 13/3/19

or possibly , but in my opinion less likely, 39660 BENNETT, William KIA 23/5/18.

62027 Clifford Bennett's attestation form  (April 1917) gives age as 17yrs 11 ½ months, NOK mother Emily, and address as 23 Ingleton Street, Belston Hill, Leeds.

Birth registered:

Apr-May-Jun 1899 at Hunslet

1901 Census - 23 Ingleton Street:  

Clifford Bennettt (1) living with father George (33), mother Emily (28), and sister Doris (1 month). George and Emily married 22 Feb 1899.

1911 Census - 23 Ingleton Street:

Clifford Bennett (12) living with widowed mother Emily (39) and sister Freada (10)

JP

• 2 months later...

Apologies for the very late reply but I’ve moved home etc so not had a lot of time on my hands.

Many thanks for the information and research and it does look likely to be the Bennett’s, I will add the info to the card as ‘possibly’

great work and happy new year to all