Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Peter Roberts 67th Siege Battery RGA

woronora

Hi

I have a letter, dated 9/9/17, from Gunner Peter Roberts, 67th Siege Battery, RGA to his Aunt in Australia in which he discusses the loss of her two sons  at Bullecourt in 1917. In his letter he refers to being Scottish I am hoping that someone will be able to give me information about him, where he was born, parents, service record etc so that I can link him with his Australian cousins.

Cheers

John

Good morning

I can't pin any Peter Roberts down to 67th at the moment. 

Can you give any further family details of any of the three mentioned soldiers please so we can go about it in a roundabout way?

George

Thank you for your quick reply. Peter's aunt's name is Jessie Crammond, nee Roberts who married James Cramond in Brechin, Scotland. Luckily I found Jessie's death noticerin Trove which revealed that here parents were David and Helen Simpson Roberts, Brechin, Scotland.  The only Peter Roberts, Scotland, I found showed that he was a member of RGA, 102 Battery, serial number 301570.

Peter's Australian cousins who served in WW1 were David Roberts Cramond, Alexander Kerr Cramond, noth KIA and John Bower Cramond.

Cheers

John

I would politely suggest that the Gnr 366029 Peter Roberts is more likely to be the correct man; given he is North Scottish RGA TF (location link near to Brechin, and that 366011 was killed in the service of 67 Sge Bty.

Rgds Paul

Hi Paul

Thank you for the information. In the letter I have from him, he gives his address as Gunner Peter Roberts, 67th Siege Battery RGA. Could he be the 366011 one. I assumed that as the only Peter Roberts I could find from Scotland was in the 102 Battery, serial number 301570., and that he may have been moved from the 67th to the 102.

Cheers

John

I would agree with Paul, he is far more likely to be 366029 Peter Roberts. 78 other ranks of the  Nth. Scottish RGA (TF) were posted to 67 SB on formation from Montrose to Dover.

Kevin

Edited by kevinrowlinson

Hi Kevin, Paul and George

Many thanks for your help in this matter. Your assistance in finding and sharing information is what makes this site so valuable.

Cheers

John