Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Submarine C6 Operations

londons

Hi,

Does anyone know what operations submarine C6 may have been involved in between 1914 and 1919? My grandfather's uncle served on C6 between these years and was ERA 4 and ERA 3.

Also, can anyone tell me the naval port names used? I have been told that ports were given naval names different to their geographical names. eg. Chatham I believe was known as a different name? I am getting confused between ship names and port names!!

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks,

Lee

Hello Lee

With regard to individual submarine flotillas, their bases were usually named after the depot ship which lent them support. There could be more than one depot ship in each harbour, but for administrative and supply reasons they were attached to a specific vessel.

Onyx, Forth - Devonport

Dolphin - Gosport (future HMS Dolphin, SSK submarine base; that being known as Fort Blockhouse during WW1).

Arrogant - Dover

Thames - Sheerness

Bonaventure - Humber

Vulcan - Leith

Maidstone, Adamant - Harwich

Pactolus - Androssan

Cormorant, Rapid - Gibraltar

Egmont - Malta

Rosario - Hong Kong

C6 was based at HMS Thames at Sheerness upon the outbreak of war and she was under the command of Lt. Cdr. Harbottle, and by 1918 she was based at HMS Vernon in Portsmouth, a destroyer/mining base depot, and no doubt acting as a asw training submarine.

By 1914 the C Class subs were becoming obsolete - especially the earlier models such as C6 - and relegated to coastal defence duties along the UK. They were also operational in the North Sea and Home Waters patrolling for enemy ships and U-boats. As the war progressed and more modern submarines were built, more and more C-Class boats served as training submarines based at Dolphin etc. to help train recruits. Some were still in frontline service by 1918, including those that took part on the Zeebrugge Raid.

Cheers

Richard

Thank you Richard and thanks for the previous help you gave me regarding my recent posts relating to John Vincent. My recent posts detail what a researcher friend of mine found about him at Kew. There are a few things on the record that I listed which I did not understand. As well as those I now understand ERA to be Engine Room Artificer but under ability it appears he was rated sat (satisfactory?) and supr ??

Do you have any information or a link to find out more about the Zebrugge raid ?

Also was Dolphin base Chatham?

Thanks so much Richard, my grandfather will be thrilled when I tell him.

Kind regards,

Lee

Hello Lee

No problem.

Under ability, "Sat" is Satisfactory. This is the most common entry for the RN appeared to have been hard task-masters in this regard. "Supr" means Superior, so well done that man! Unless someone was totally inept at their task, this had no influence on the LSGC award; merely their conduct needed to be assessed as VG for fifteen years.

There are a couple of articles about the Zeebrugge Raid available on-line. HMS C3 was loaded with explosives and driven into the viaduct before being abandoned by her crew - who escaped in a motorboat under fire; as far as I am aware C6 played no part in this raid. My book and current research is about the social history of the Submarine Service during this period rather than the operations themselves (although obviously the two converge to some degree), so don't have precise information as to the career of each sub to hand.

Dolphin was the depot ship at Gosport (on the West side of Portsmouth Harbour) and became the namesake when Fort Blockhouse - the Navy base right on the harbour mouth - became HMS Dolphin, training base and home of the Sub. Service, and until c.1993 was also home to most diesel-electric boats. Pembroke I & II were the barracks at Chatham.

You might want to contact the RNSM to see whether they have his Submarine Service Card; they also have a box of photos for every RN sub and if your chap was on C6 throughout the War (unusual service history) he could be in a few photos.

Now you need to find out whether he was the ERA 'Outside' or confined to the Engine & Motor rooms ...

Cheers

Richard

Many thanks once again Richard,

I have sent a note to the RNSM at Gosport. Is this the only way I can find out if he was ERA inside or outside?

I wonder if you know what a G1 badge was? His record shows he was awarded one on 14/9/1917.

From the little information I have looked at it looks like C6 made it through the War in tact but very few searches actually mention C6. C3 was scuttled at Zebrugge by the looks of it and the later C clas subs are mentioned. I assume C6 spent its time around the home shores on defensive duties?

Thanks again,

Lee

Difficult to place in context without seeing where it is on doc., but "G1" granted usually means first Good Conduct stripe awarded (4 years' service).

There were lots of submarines and all but a few had an unglamorous - although dangerous - war and are not mentioned in mainstream works. Most patrolled week after week throughout the War without seeing much of the enemy. Given that she is a C-Class and there is no reference to her actions in many mainstream accounts, it would seem most likely she fell into this category whilst patrolling UK waters/North Sea and then became a training/non-operational boat (C6 was not in an operational flotilla by 1918, but attached to Vernon with C7 and C8).

Approx. 1/3 of all RN submariners died in WW1 (highest % death rate outside of fighter pilots, I wonder??) and most losses can be attributed to mines or similar.

ERA 'outside' etc. is just an ERA who looked after the electrics and hydraulics etc. outside of the engine & motor rooms, which had its own. Probably won't find this unless they happen by chance to have some trade details/reports/accounts at the RNSM, but not really of any importance. Given that he was 3rd and 4th class during his service in C6 he probably maintained the engines etc. under the supervision of a Chief ERA, alongside one or two others.

Cheers

Richard

Thank you Richard,

By being attached to Vernon are you referring to HMS Vernon, Portsmouth? was this a torpedoing school and if so what typically went on there? was HMS Vernon an actual ship or a base?

Sorry for all the questions but I really find this new information fascinating and i'm surprised that there isn't more information on the web.

Kind regards,

Lee