Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African uniform? (Actually RFC)

Anthony Pigott

Hello

I wonder if anyone can identify this uniform. I'm not sure when this was taken but he fought in South West Africa in 1914, eventually got back to SA and finally joined the RAF just before the end of the war.

Thanks.

img007.jpg

Edited by Anthony Pigott

RFC Officer cadet?

It's a Royal Flying Corps cap badge. Looks to be standard Other Ranks service dress jacket and cap, but the white band may well indicate Cadet as Jools says.

Rgds

Tim 

Edited by Blackblue

I think Tim’s bang on the money, the photo shows a typical RFC cadet.

5860C17C-FE81-4326-A536-E5D66FE187CF.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks everyone. That makes sense as the first entry on his RAF service record is dated 11/6/18.  I didn't recognise the cap band and had assumed it must be some SA thing. 

23 hours ago, Anthony Pigott said:

Thanks everyone. That makes sense as the first entry on his RAF service record is dated 11/6/18.  I didn't recognise the cap band and had assumed it must be some SA thing. 

Just for reference, at that time a great many officer cadet schools (most in fact) used white cap bands to distinguish their cadets under training.

7C10B23F-150F-40BF-B5BF-FC8E2610CA91.png

ABEB1D4C-5C39-4648-AB4A-D42AD116C521.jpeg

B92B0E32-10FE-40E5-A3C0-E1FE1812BE86.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I've just posted his service record here: 

There are a couple of versions of his records on Findmypast which may give some more detail. What did he do in German West Africa? 

Tim 

On 12/10/2019 at 05:06, Blackblue said:

What did he do in German West Africa?

Good question. He was involved in the 14/15 campaign where he was apparently wounded, captured and released. He made some tapes in his later years which recount his experiences but mostly from his personal perspective without much context. I'm going to go through them again to see what I can glean.

I managed to get my Great Uncle's full Service Papers from South Africa - he served with the South African Constabulary during the Boer War and in WW1 in East Africa twice...no less than 9 x different Corps/Units, but predominantly 2nd South African Horse and Army Service Corps. 

I used Audrey Portman from Rhino Research - fantastic service. rhino.research@icon.co.za

Tim