Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Company Machine Gun Corps

Marigold1

Am I right in thinking that there is no war diary in the National Archives for the 14th Company Machine Gun Corps covering the period from January 1916 to the end of December 1917? Or have I missed something?

Marigold

Does this help? (see third post).

Acknown

1 hour ago, Marigold1 said:

Am I right in thinking that there is no war diary in the National Archives for the 14th Company Machine Gun Corps covering the period from January 1916 to the end of December 1917? Or have I missed something?

Marigold

I don't believe those for the 14th Company are specifically indexed.

In the past I've found MGC Company War Diaries attached to individual Infantry Battalion War Diaries in the same Brigade when I've downloaded from the National Archive. That makes it a bit of a needle in a haystack when it comes to finding them that way.

What I'd suggest is check out the 14th Brigade War Diary.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/32nd-division/

This should contain copies of the War Diaries for all the units that made up the Brigade. They are available for smaller periods, (quite often only one or two months), than if you went for an individual battalion or M G Company but the plus side is that quite often they are typed up and include maps and appendices that may have gone missing from the unit diary. Additionally you get to see what the other units that made up the Brigade were doing and get both sides of communications between both units and brigade HQ.

Hope that helps,

Peter

The 14th MG Coy was in the 14th Bde, 32 Div. Its WD is on Ancestry: click here.

Acknown