Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Corps Cavalry

Peter Beckett

Continuing with research on my wifes grandfather, who was in the 13th Light Regiment, AIF, I decided to purchase this book to widen my knowledge of their involvement in the Western Front.

The book is published and sold by Slouch Hat Publications, McCare, Victoria which is a stones throw from where I live.

It covers raising the Regiment, Gallipoli, Western Front 1916, Bapaume 1917, Arras 1917 (Bullecourt), Amiens 1918, Albert 1918, Hindenburg Outpost Line and Peace.

Included are Appendix 1 to 5 which covers a Nominal Roll (Grandfather is listed), List of Commanding Officers, Honours & Awards and Lt Deegan's Field Notes.

I was pleasantly surprised as to the fact that on the Western Front mounted infantry existed, let alone do valuable work as scouts, messengers, etc.

It was also interesting to see that CEW Bean may have glossed over some areas of action especially around Albert.

They also did sterling work as traffic control parties along the Menin Rd in the Passchendaele-Zonnebeeke sector during September and October 1917 as well as being in anti-aircraft activies with their Hotchkiss MG's and on 26th September 1917 shot down 3 German Planes.

For me, this book has given an insight into their activities as well as helped greatly with my research.

Peter

Hi Peter

I also found this to be a very interesting book about the work the 13th Light Horse Regiment performed on the Western Front.

The 4th Light Horse unit history also has a section devoted to it's squadron's on the WF.

Cheers

Andrew