Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC Service Record?

KernelPanic

This should be an easy one. It's is from a solder who attested in Co. Durham on November 1914 into the No 1. Company ASC. I have two questions:

1) The middle line I think reads: "Northbn D.T. (=Northumbrian Divisional Train) Awarded 4th Rate C. Pay" etc. If I'm right, what's the meaning/significance of "Awarded 4th Rate C. Pay"?

2) What is the last line refering to?

Thanks all.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by KernelPanic

1/1st Northumbrian DT became the 467th Coy. I can't really say what '4th Rate C Pay' is, perhaps relating to his trade or going overseas? Last line reads 'Authority Army Council Instruction 1677/1916, so ACI 1677 of 1916, other forum members may have access to the ACIs but if not this particular one would be in here.

J

Yes, it's Corps Pay, and is related to his skill at his technical trade. There were eight separate rates, ranging from 1s 8d per day down to 3d per day, but rates 1, 2 and 4 only related to mechanical transport, so I suspect that the record actually says 7th Rate, which was 6d per day. The Divisional Train companies were horsed transport only.

Ron

Yes now I see, 7th not 4th,  

This man attested in Gateshead the day before my great grandfather, 19th October vs 20th. My GGF's service number is only 3 lower than this soldier's (T/977 vs T/980). I should have mentioned the number as that would have said HT straight away. I'm trying to see if this man's record gives me a bit of a clue to my GGF's service. His is lost.

The ACI 1677/1916, although would be interesting to read, is less important to me. My GGF was almost certainly back in the UK by September, 1916, probably with the 'Northern Home Company' (Leeds?), but that's another question. September 1st was when his number was changed from 3 to 6 digits, and maybe this soldier's as well.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by KernelPanic