Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lincolnshire Regiment 1st Battalion

Allan1892

Trying to find out where the 1st Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment was in January 1916. A distant relative enlisted in November 1912, aged 15 years and 8 months. He was stationed in Lincoln until relocating to Portsmouth in March 1913. January 1914 saw him sailing to Bermuda but they were recalled back to the UK, arriving back late August 1914 followed by embarking to France on the SS Canada. He was KIA on the 22nd January 1916 and he rests in the Cite Bonjean Military Cemetery, Armentieres. I have searched for war diaries but have failed so far. Hope someone can give me guidance.

Thanks David. Had searched Ancestry but no luck. Did have a quick search on TNA but nothing came up, must have been my wording on the search.

Bob, thanks for the PM, I have looked at the diary entry for 22 January 1916 and it shows that 'B' Company were on duty and that 1 OR in the work party was killed - this would be my guy, Ernest Seaton Fletcher. Entries for  a few days earlier show that the Battalion were in the Armentieres area.

Allan

Allan

It was the 2nd Bn that returned from Bermuda in August 1914. I used to have a link to Simpson's Official History. I will find it and post it on here.

Brian

Found it.

https://archive.org/details/TheHistoryOfTheLincolnshireRegiment1914-1918

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for the link, I look forward to reading through it.

Yes, you are correct,. My guy (Ernest Seaton Fletcher) was transferred into the 2nd Battalion at some stage. What is left of his service record doesn't show the transfer but it does show that he arrived in Bermuda on 17/1/1914 arriving back in the UK on 13/9/1914. His entry in the GWGC shows 1st Battalion as does the Register of Soldiers Effects. However, his entry in the Medal Rolls shows 9490 2/Linc.R. and 9490 1/Linc.R. His Medal Card only show 2nd Battalion.

Once again, many thanks for the link.

Allan

23 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

Bob, thanks for the PM, I have looked at the diary entry for 22 January 1916 and it shows that 'B' Company were on duty and that 1 OR in the work party was killed - this would be my guy, Ernest Seaton Fletcher. Entries for  a few days earlier show that the Battalion were in the Armentieres area.

Allan

Don't know if this adds anything...

Screenshot_20191004-141652.jpg

Thanks for the newspaper cutting, I found this earlier today. Adds to the confusion that it says 1st Lincolns when he was transferred into 2nd Lincolns (see my earlier posting of today).

Allan

6 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

Once again, many thanks for the link.

Allan

Allan

The link was posted by Forum member Woollamc some years ago. 

Brian