Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Walter Melbourne Dodds

Perth Digger

Captain Walter Melbourne Dodds, 23rd Northumberland Fusiliers, died as a POW on 14 October 1918 and was buried in Poznan Old Garrison Cemetery by the Germans. Does anyone know when he was first captured, please?

Thanks

Mike

Many thanks both of you.

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger

Also not an answer to your question, but he was a good rugby player. He played at forward for Durham School, Northern, Harlequins, Northumberland and the Barbarians.

I always like to hear about rugby players and the war, Aneurin, so thanks. Blackheath is my team.

Thanks, SB, for the obit. They seem to have got the place of the hospital wrong. It was in Poznan, Poland, according to CWGC, buried by the Germans. The family appear to have muddled the two places from information got from the ICRC.

I am interested in him because the War Office Accounts/Effects records say he was presumed dead. 

Thanks again.

Mike

Well, that's a coincidence, Gwyn. Four Blackheath players were killed during the war, according to Hammond's The Club.

Mike

They lost rather more than four, Mike. i remember seeing a roll of honour for the club some years ago and there were a lot of names on it. The World Rugby Memorial website lists 67 for Blackheath and,as with all such lists, this probably understates the actual number of former club players who died in the war. Quite a few internationals amongst them.

Gwyn

I thought the number sounded rather small, Gwyn. Thanks for letting me know.

Mike

He was baptised in Newcastle on 20 May 1885, Gwyn. 1911 Census: a boarder in London, working as a Company Secretary. On 1 May 1913 he left for Argentina. 

Mike