Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horace Peacock

maudson

I am trying to work out the career of Horace Peacock born about 1890 in Ringstead, Northamptonshire. The Roll of Honour has him in the 3rd Battalion Buffs (East Kent Regiment), wounded and "now serving in Ireland". The Absent Voters' List for 1918 has him in the Buffs with Regimental Number 21196. The Medal Roll has him in the 6th and 1st Battalions. The War Office Daily List 5721 has him wounded (Report Date 13/11/1918). His Pension Record Card has him discharged on 9th October 1919. He died on 8th March 1922 as a result of Trench Fever. In the AVL for Ringstead for Spring 1919 he is still absent but with no military details. I know that the 3rd Battalion were in Canterbury and Dover during the war but the NAM website has photographs of them in Ireland in 1919.

Looking at another Buffs soldier E.K.R. Okey 21108 who enlisted on 15/11/1915 it would seem ilkely that Horace enlisted in early 1916 at the latest. He then went into the 6th before transferring to the 1st, was wounded and came back to Dover and then went to Ireland with the 3rd after the war (although apparently still suffering from Trench Fever). Is this  a sensible progression and can anyone help me with dates when the changes might have happened? As always any help much appreciated.

David

Edited by maudson
My errors

Hi David

I think than an "r" has crept into "Peacock" in your thread title? And if it's Thomas Peacock's career in which you're interested, what does the reference to Horace mean?

Moonraker