Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment and Date Period Badge Identification

Lyndale

Dear Listeners, I would be grateful for confirmation, that the attached photo is of a soldier in the Territorial Force Warwickshire Regiment wearing a white mess jacket. I believe that the curved shoulder title was only used by TF regiments and that the collar badge is an antelope, with a chain across its back, instead of around the front legs, which I'm told dates the photo between 1914 and 1934? 

Confirmation of my interpretation, or otherwise, would be extremely useful in my research of who the person is in the photograph. Regards Lyndale of Melbourne AU.  

GWF - Unidetified Regiment of a Soldier in White Dress Uniform.jpg

The S/T is only single tier and will read Warwick or R.Warwickshire and belonged to a regular battalion. A TF S/T would be 3 tier. I will look up the collar dog later when I’m home but from memory the chain was loose and moveable.  

J

I wonder if in fact this is not a "Mess jacket" [not sure what that is, except perhaps for soldiers employed as servants/stewards] but India Pattern Whites.If so, highly likely to be  a regular soldier in India. I cannot argue for the date.

14 hours ago, Lyndale said:

Dear Listeners, I would be grateful for confirmation, that the attached photo is of a soldier in the Territorial Force Warwickshire Regiment wearing a white mess jacket. I believe that the curved shoulder title was only used by TF regiments and that the collar badge is an antelope, with a chain across its back, instead of around the front legs, which I'm told dates the photo between 1914 and 1934? 

Confirmation of my interpretation, or otherwise, would be extremely useful in my research of who the person is in the photograph. Regards Lyndale of Melbourne AU.  

I am looking on just a phone screen, but to me those collar badges look like the forest deer of the Bedfordshire Regiment (formerly the 16th Regiment of Foot), rather than Royal Warwickshire’s chained Antelope.  He’s wearing a white drill frock, rather than a ‘mess jacket’, which was normal dress for formal parades and walking out during the hot season (equivalent of Summer months) for the battalion on foreign service (most likely India).  You also might find this link of interest: http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/index.html

49272B32-05BE-4AF2-82C6-80C05C608F36.jpeg

B7EA85EF-16FA-438C-ACA4-F4B2F824A329.jpeg

B00FEFDC-4CA2-474A-A0FD-FA3329C8FFB9.jpeg

B44507A7-4D6F-4C72-912C-F7DEA96CCB37.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I totally agree Frogsmile, on looking closer and with a copy of Churchill to hand there are indeed several distinct differences, as shown in the above image, the Bedfordshire white hart has one leg raised (trippant), has no chain, nor a coronet. The badge pattern shown would appear to be No.9909a which was sealed on 21st March 1898, and worn by the regular battalions through to the change of title in 1919.

J

Dear Jay, Muerrisch and Frogsmile, many thanks for your interest in correcting my original suggestion this was the RWR collar badge and upon a second inspection of the photograph I concur with your knowledge that the evidence points to the Bedfordshire Regiment. This is excellent support, regards Lyndale