Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Roll "Theatre in which served" query

clark136

Hi everyone,

It has been a very long while since I last posted on here, but i find myself having time again to do some family research.

My great grandfather, Edgar John Waterfield (b. Tavistock 1883) served in the Essex Rgt, Labour corp and the Royal Army Ordnance Corp and I have found his medal roll (see attached).

What I am confused about is what ODE stands for in the "Theatres of War in which Served".

So the story goes, he was in the middle East (Palestine we believe) and he was in Alexandria for a bit and Nan always thought he was in france for a while as well... but we cant find anything that specifically places him in these places.

If anyone has any ideas on what theatre ODE was i would be grateful to hear from you.

Many thanks

Chris

medal entitlement.jpg

ODE is not the theater of war

ODE on the medal roll is the initials of the clerk who checked the record

Ray

Edited by RaySearching

I'm not sure. Looking through the roll, there are a number of acronyms - ODE, OBW, OGB, OCW, OET, or else they have either a cross or date of entry.

Unless the O is overseas and the other two letters the clerk's initials?

Edited by IPT

17 hours ago, IPT said:

Unless the O is overseas and the other two letters the clerk's initials?

Having browsed through a few medal rolls 

I think that IPTs suggestion makes sense and is probably correct  as various medal roll entries' just show the O  while others are followed by two initials

Unless one of our forum pals knows differently 

Ray

Not in here: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/records/abbreviations-in-world-war-one-medal-index-cards-unit.pdf. But I think it's not initials. I too have looked at other rolls and in some cases, 'O + [squiggled letters]' occurs, in others whilst most names are ticked or crossed, presumably at the whim of the checker, a few are marked 'O -------- [tick]'. Nothing on the corresponding MIC to indicate anything untoward. I think it may be an indication as to the status of the medal issue.

Acknown

hi everyone, thanks so much for looking at this for me. i'm a little glad that I'm not the only one who couldnt find a definitive answer :)

Would be always interested to hear if anyone does know the answer, but what you are saying about it being the clerks initials does make sense. initialled and ticked to say "yes, these have been issued".

thanks

Chris