Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers 13th Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

mrfrank

This is a long shot, but some A&SH experts might be able to assist me. I bought this unnamed group photo some time ago of the officers of 13A&SH and I'd like to confirm roughly the date it was taken (I'm assuming probably 1915). Taken by Elliot & Fry in mid summer judging by the background foliage. Another clue is a name in pencil to the reverse of 'Mr Tweedale'. The May 1915 army list identifies the probable owner as 2nd Lt RH Tweedale who was gazetted 9th November 1914. Would anyone be able to tell me when RH Tweedale entered France (if at all?) as I can't find a MiC for him. 

Perhaps someone has seen this photo before somewhere or alternatively may be able to identify any of the other officers? I'm sure the majority of these officers will have been sent to the A&SH battalions in France to replace battle casualties. 

There are are five Captains seated in the front row either side of the CO. Directly seated to the CO's right is a Lt who I'm assuming is the Adjt. Any help much appreciated. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by mrfrank

I wonder whether you might have the wrong Tweedale - there's an MIC for a Lt Randolph Hepworth Tweedale of the Gordon Highlanders (and Royal Scots) but no mention of the Argyll's. Apologies if you've already discarded this..

Mike

Thanks Langdon....it would seem to be the right Tweedale as I hadn't actually found that entry and on investigating, it would seem he appears in the Supplement to the Nov16 army list as being transferred from the A&SH to a garrison battalion of the Royal Scots as a Lt as of Oct16. However, the MiC gives date of entry to Egypt as Sep16. Progress, but not sure now whether this photo dates to 1915 or 1916. 

2 hours ago, mrfrank said:

Directly seated to the CO's right is a Lt who I'm assuming is the Adjt

The Army List says Adjutant was HG Pegg.  AL June 1915 he is Lt (from Apr 1915).  AL Mar 1916 he is Capt (from Sep 1915). looks like Summer 1915 .

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Cheers Charlie....the Army List I have (May15) had him as a 2nd Lt. His rapid promotions would perhaps suggest that as you say, this photo is Summer 1915. Many thanks.