Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte JW Barlow 45639 Yorks & Lancs.

Andrew G Barlow

Hello, all. What an amazing place to be. I am a complete novice with regard to researching past lives. My question: my Grandfather, Private John W Barlow, from Rotherham, DoW, 20:10:1918, aged 23. He fought with the Yorks & Lancs, 6th  Battalion. I am wondering if it is possible to find out where, geographically, he was wounded? I thank you n advance. Andrew

For my Grandad.

BARLOW,JOHN WILLIE,J W,,,20/10/1918,,Private,York and Lancaster Regiment,6th Bn.,France,'45639',ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY,LXV. J. 19.,"SON OF CLARA BARLOW, OF RAWMARSH RD., ROTHERHAM, YORKS."

Hi and welcome

On National Archives you can download the war diary. If you are on Ancestry it should be available there too.

6 Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment

Reference: WO 95/1809/5
Description:

6 Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment

Date: 1916 July - 1919 Apr.

I imagine your are aware that his burial place indicates that he died in one of the many hospitals at Etaples so you should look a few weeks prior to 20 October 1918 although casualties through the whole of October included 215 wounded (74 in September) so it may be difficult/impossible to define exactly when he was wounded.

Max

He has some service papers, but they are in poor condition. It looks like he was wounded 11/10/1918 and taken to 22nd Casualty Clearing Station on 12/10/1918 - "SW Back". He died in 20th General Hospital, which I think was in Camiers, on 20/10/1918.

Edited by IPT

Thank you so much. I can only imagine what my Grandad went through. Every piece of information brings him that little closer. Thank you again. Andrew, a grateful grandson.

Almost all the battalion's casualties on 1st October, however there are four casualties on 11/10/18, all killed in action - Capt FG Anderson, 37690 E Smith 21671 T Conway and 17426 T Farr.  

Perhaps a shell?

Have you tried the archives section at Clifton Park museum in Rotherham ?  They have indexed all the casualties from Rotherham in the Great War . The Y&L regimental museum is also situated at the museum. They provide free access to Find my Past and a local researcher Andy Featherstone (?) is usually on hand to assist. They are open Wed to Sat .

References are to the map and image at the link below.

The action on 11 October saw 6 Y&L from positions to the west of Eswars  following up the Canadians who attacked and captured Iwuy.  They crossed the canal and moved towards Iwuy on the eastern side of the road running up from the south west towards Iwuy.  By the afternoon, the Canadians had established posts about 2000 yards north of Iwuy.  6 Y&L were then able to return to their previous positions.  As often happens, the casualty figures in the brigade diary are not the same as those in the battalion diary.  For the 2 battalions involved, brigade records, among others, 11 ORs wounded.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.2319&lon=3.3041&layers=101465044&right=BingHyb

Max

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum.

His service papers (FMP link, they should also be on Ancestry) suggest that you grandfather originally attested on 11.12.1915. He was sent to the Army Reserve, and was called up for service on 14.5.1918. He trained/served 'at home' until 8.9.1918, and was transferred to the British Expeditionary Force on 8.9.1918. He was posted to the 6th Yorks & Lancs whilst at 'F' Infantry Base Depot (in Le Havre), and joined the unit 'in the field' on 10.9.1918. 

On Ancestry, the unit war diary for September 1918 starts here. The 32 Infantry Brigade HQ diary starts here. His soldiers' Effects record names his wife (Marion) as his sole legatee. The associated will is available from here (£1.50). It may well consist of a very few words, and would arrive as a low level B&W pdf scan of the original attached to an email, a couple of days after ordering.

If you don't already have one British War Graves may be able to send you a decent quality image of his grave stone, on a free of charge basis.

Regards

Chris

image.png.a3aa197290f532b520677e9b7e8b14e4.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

The war diary says that, at 9am, the battalion were following the Canadians in close support along the Canal de l'Escaut. They had crossed the canal at Thun-l'Eveque when an enemy barrage opened. The companies found great difficulty in crossing the swampy ground and old wire. They suffered several casualties, including Captain Anderson and C.S.M Conway, (post 7 above), both of C Coy.

Although we can't be completely certain, this seems to me to be the most likely time that your grandad was wounded.

Wow! I have more information in two days. Thank you all once again. I did not know my Father's family, he was born in 1917 and sadly passed away in 1987. My information regarding my Grandfather is sketchy at best, but would add that any snippet is better than nothing. At present I am awaiting certain documents, his Will for instance, all thanks to the information and advice generously offered.  Coincidentally, my Father's name, Ray Barlow, was the same as Air Mech Ray Barlow, RFC. Killed 12:08:1914. My Father was in the RAF for over 25 years after being in the Royal Navy from 1939 to 1946. Once again I thank you, I venture forth a happier man, tinged with sadness. Andrew