Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

175th Brigade Royal Field Artillery

Foxkarej

I have an Ancestry account and I'm trying to access the War Diaries for the above for the 31st May 1917 when Harry Crampton was the sole casualty.

I'm  an Ancestry novice to a certain extent, Having entered the search parameters I'm getting over 100,000 hits!!

Can anyone tell me what I'm  doing wrong please. I only want to see from around the 28th to the 31st or whatever day the action commenced he lost his life in.

Thanks in anticipation.

It may be that because 175 Bde became an Army Field Artillery Brigade that it is not copied to Ancestry (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

The Diary has been digitised and at National Archives it is here. Maybe these refs help double check Ancestry

Charlie

I think Charlie is right. If you search for sub unit 175 Brigade Royal Field Artillery checking the exact option and an event in 1917 checking the exact option (see 1st attachment) you will get no results.   If you change the event year from exact to + or - 1 you will get 19 results in 1916.  So I think Ancestry does not have the war diaries for 1917. The Brigade left 34th Division in January 1917 and became an Army Field Artillery Brigade and possibly that explains the gap.

Exact sub unit and event.png

Exact sub unit and event year +or- 1 year.png

12 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

I have thanks. It was great to see. That's what prompted my interest to see the actual war diary. I'm branching out from a normal family tree and concentrating on those members who served in the War