Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking Towards Passchendaele from the Cloth Hall Tower

Fattyowls

There is from the railway bridge, just not from the remains of the infamous spoil bank because of the trees. I should be able to pick it out on your latest one, I'd never seen the lake before either. Many thanks yet again...

405364560_YpresfromHill60.JPG.99639a5d035a786f16ca386a3b90d9e6.JPG

here's one zoomed in on my computer 

and another ultra zoomed, and centred so that the 1st Australian Tunnelling memorial is centre of frame - it's a bit fuzzy, but I'm sure it is the same shape. The Railway bridge is to the right of frame, with Battle Wood behind it.

hill60.jpg.87be1ad048a8a859180784f885dd5608.jpg

hill60_ultra_zoomed.jpg.e82c500e3301611700fc41fb04278f00.jpg

9 minutes ago, mjh said:

Thanks Marilyne for the update. Looking forward to going back to Ypres for my 5th time !

You might want to know that I volunteered to organize a GWF reunion at the Ypres "Tree of the Year 2020" once this whole mess is over... you're free to join ... 

@ all others: OFFER STILL STANDS !!! We're doing that!!! 

M.

17 minutes ago, mjh said:

and one looking the other way from the railway bridge .

That's a really good one MJH, better than mine certainly, although that is what is called damming with faint praise. You mentioned above that your panoramic set pick out the Messines ridge, I'm assuming that you can see the Whytshaete end but not Messines itself. One of the things that I want to do next time I'm in the vicinity is to see if you can see the Cloth Tower from the other side of the Spanbroekmolen crater. There's a thread somewhere that I started that worked out that you can. My belief is that the cross ridge that the mill stood on is the watershed between the Yser and the Lys rivers so it should be all downhill....

Pete.

27 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

a GWF reunion at the Ypres "Tree of the Year 2020"

The reunion STARTS at the tree on the ramparts and then makes it's way to the waffle shop opposite the Cloth Hall......

Thanks Pete for your praise . I am blessed with a fairly decent zoom lens, and on the day in question , good weather and light, it must be said. 

Here's a picture of what I think is Messines Church from the top of the Cloth Hall

DSC_0040.JPG.6b86d410685a36e03d1fca7cb5db5be9.JPG

messines.JPG.779dbd03e85c9963ef25fefe7ca1756e.JPG

28 minutes ago, mjh said:

am blessed with a fairly decent zoom lens

...and a very steady hand. That is a real eye opener for me; that is most definitely Messines church, I'll have a look at Google Earth in a bit to see if Whytshaete church is behind the trees....

Thanks yet again MJH.

40 minutes ago, mjh said:

fairly decent zoom lens,

Which one??? 

Photographer's curiosity... 

M.

Drew a line on the map between Messines church and the Cloth Hall and found that Whytschaete church is off to the right. Which for me illustrates yet again how difficult the salient was for the forces holding it. It also means that Spanbroekmolen is even further right being a mile or so further west.

Pete.

The lens Marilyne, is a Canon EFS 18-200mm (the 35mm film equivalent of a 29-320mm lens) - Approx 11 x magnification. Also has an inbuilt image stabilizer, which is why my hand held shots came out unblurry ! (I can't claim the credit for the stillness of the images Pete ! )   The lens certainly came in handy the day I climbed the Cloth Hall Tower !

Edited by mjh

@Pete , yes I was looking for Whytschaete Church on my pics, but couldn't find one. That would explain why ! On Google earth, there looks to be quite a clear line of vison between the cloth tower and Spanbroekmolen though, so good luck with future endeavours there.

1 hour ago, mjh said:

That would explain why

Your photos have changed my perspective matey, very much appreciated; every day is a school day. And we've got the Belgian army organising a GWF reunion for when we go back; what's not to like?

Meet at the tree on the Ramparts, I stop to look for the name of James Brannick on the steps down on the northern side of the Menin Gate, walk down to the waffle shop where I attempt to eat my own bodyweight in their products, then climb the Cloth Tower to pick out Whytshaete. I may skip the last bit due to the weight gain. Then perhaps a trip out to Spanbroekmolen to find a perspective back from whence we have come. Something to look forward to.

Pete.

9 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Your photos have changed my perspective matey, very much appreciated; every day is a school day. And we've got the Belgian army organising a GWF reunion for when we go back; what's not to like?

Meet at the tree on the Ramparts, I stop to look for the name of James Brannick on the steps down on the northern side of the Menin Gate, walk down to the waffle shop where I attempt to eat my own bodyweight in their products, then climb the Cloth Tower to pick out Whytshaete. I may skip the last bit due to the weight gain. Then perhaps a trip out to Spanbroekmolen to find a perspective back from whence we have come. Something to look forward to.

Pete.

Yes indeed. I trust Marilyne won't be giving attendees a test on spelling local place names before allowing them to scoff a waffle...

55 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Yes indeed. I trust Marilyne won't be giving attendees a test on spelling local place names before allowing them to scoff a waffle...

don't give me ideas.... LOL

55 minutes ago, sassenach said:

It's a fair cop guv, you've got me bang to rights. It's always been a challenge for me, and one which I rarely rise to. As to tests and examinations I suspect she may have had quite enough of those recently, although we've sustained the waffle shop joke cycle now over several years so it might be necessary for me to do a bit of revision.......

Pete.

3 hours ago, mjh said:

The lens Marilyne, is a Canon EFS 18-200mm 

hmmm... 

tossed that one out years ago... now use the EF 24-105 f:4 for everyday use, coupled with a sigma 17-70mm f:2.8 for macro shots and EF10-18 for wide angle shots. 

And if I have enough place to carry it around (meaning when I'm not on foot) I have my EF70-200 f:2.8, which is an amazing lens... better be for that price !! 

Looking at maybe getting a 35mm fixed. I had a 50mm from canon but my sister dropped it... 

M.