Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peabody Trust

Uncle George

It seems that the smallest villages, workplaces, have their memorials. And social housing estates. The attached is from a Peabody Trust estate in the back streets near Victoria:

FE4F51E4-B01A-4246-9877-7398DB49FBBD.jpeg

10 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Is it listed on the war memorials trust website?

I’m sorry but I don’t know. A friend of mine who lives in London and who knows of my interest in the First war sent me the photograph, and I know nothing further. But it caught my imagination.

2 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Is it listed on the war memorials trust website?

I believe it is along with 2 other Peabody Estate memorials. 

Neither James William Ffield or his younger brother John Peter have a known grave, being remembered at Arras and Tyne Cot respectively. Living on the estate with their mother and father on the 1911 Census, the brothers aged 18 and 16 are both  'Messengers', James for the railway and John for the post office, one wonders if their pre-war employment led to anything similar in their short military careers. 1917 saw the loss of their only sons, James died on Wednesday 18th April and John died on Thursday 16th August.

:poppy::poppy:

Thanks for posting Uncle George

J

3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

I’m sorry but I don’t know. A friend of mine who lives in London and who knows of my interest in the First war sent me the photograph, and I know nothing further. But it caught my imagination.

I think I posted a picture a few years' ago: it's in an estate not far from Westminster. Can't off-hand remember the name of the street, but it's just past where Strutton Ground meets Horseferry Road, and is behind a pub called The Speaker.

45 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I think I posted a picture a few years' ago: it's in an estate not far from Westminster. Can't off-hand remember the name of the street, but it's just past where Strutton Ground meets Horseferry Road, and is behind a pub called The Speaker.

Old Pye Street I think

J

Would that be the same as the Peabody estate off Duchy Street? 

Cancel that, it's not. 

In which case, does anyone know if there is a similar memorial for Peabody Buildings, Duchy Street ? 

Edited by Ken Lees

Hi

I don’t know if this helps but according to the CWGC the Littlefield named on the memorial was:

Husband of A. J. Littlefield, of 215, Peabody Buildings, Old Pye St., Westminster, London

9 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I see on this site that they do not have an image of this memorial, and have sent them the one I have.

Good to know they now have an image

The Peabody Trust built blocks of flats to replace demolished slums, but the rent usually meant that families above the poverty line lived in them.

Mike

My first home was in Peabody Buildings, Duchy Street. 

My aunt and uncle had a flat there and my parents moved to London from Lancashire after they married, and rented a flat in the same block. 

I'd be very interested to learn of Great War connections to the flats there. 

According to this site

https://www.peabody.org.uk/about-us/who-we-are/our-heritage/history-of-our-estates, “Abbey Orchard estate is one of four Peabody estates with a memorial to the residents who died in active service during the First World War.”

A search here for ‘Peabody’http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/search suggests that Duchy Street is not one of these four.