Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What's Paragraph 112, TF Regulations?

Tom P-C

Hi All,

Paragraph 112 of the Territorial Force Regulations was brought up in 2008 with no resolution by @ddycher.  I think after eleven years, the exciting truth must finally be told.

I have been trying to understand the significance of the following LG entry:

War Office, 27th November, 1914. TERRITORIAL FORCE ... INFANTRY ...  6th (Cyclist) Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment; Lieutenant Cyril [actually his name was Cecil] Fawssett is seconded under the conditions of paragraph 112, Territorial Force Regulations. Dated 21st November, 1914. [LG 27 Nov 1914 Issue 28987, p9998]

I can give this a certain amount of context

Preceding the event:

6th (Cyclist) Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment; Cecil Fawssett (late Cadet Officer, Epsom College Contingent, Junior Division, Officers Training Corps) to be Second Lieutenant. Dated 27th November, 1913 [LG]

From C. FAWSSETT: "About a week ago a telegram came from the War Office calling for Volunteers for the Expeditionary Force. 105 men and 8 officers were chosen, I being among the lucky ones. We are getting ready at the White City, where there are 17,000 troops and 700 officers. Before starting we are to be inspected by some big person, as we are the first Terriers to be enrolled into regulars. When we get out we shall have the lively game of hunting for the enemy's cavalry and outposts." [Undated letter, presumably Aug/Sep/Oct 1914]

Entered France Theatre 22.11.14 [Medal Index Card]

[LG] TF. INFANTRY. 6th (Cyclist) Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment. Second Lieutenant Cecil Fawssett to be Lieutenant. Dated 24th October, 1914 [LG]

Following the event:

[LG] REGULAR FORCES. ARMY CYCLIST CORPS. Lt. C. Fawssett (R. Suss. R. .(TF)) to be temp. Capt. while comdg. a Co. 15 June 1916 [LG 11 Nov 1916]

It therefore looks to me like Para 112 is to do with seconding TF personnel into the Regular Army.

Does anyone have more they can add to this?

Thanks

Tom

My copy of the TF regs 1908 doesn't have a para 112 - up to para 106 is discharge then para 116 moves on to discipline - so it appears it was added later. The first reference I can see from a quick look is 1911 and regarding officer secondments to the colonial office.

Craig