Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Navy LSGC look up

eviltaxman

If anyone out there has a copy of NAVAL LONG SERVICE MEDALS 1830-1990, could they please do a look up?

I'm looking to see if Alfred George COOLE, Sto1, 148601 received or was due the LSGC. He joined the navy 13 April 1889 and was to be pensioned off 13 April 1901, but actually stayed on until around 1910. He left the navy and joined the RFR, but on the out break of hostilities, was recalled.

He died at home of illness in August 1915.

If you need info regarding ships (land/sea based) let me know and I'll list them all out.

Cheers,

Les.

If anyone out there has a copy of NAVAL LONG SERVICE MEDALS 1830-1990, could they please do a look up?

Hi

I've had a look, but for the later medals only those in the Douglas-Morris collection

are listed.

Do words like 'traced medal' (med or other abbreviation) appear on the record of service? If so a LSGC was issued on the date shown.

All the best

Fred

Fred,

Thanks for looking. Ive got the original pre-war ships papers, but there's nothing on there to say if one was actually issued.

I'm going by a gut feeling. He joined in 1889, and left in 1910-ish. As per the Medal Yearbook, the entitlement was after 21 years until 1874 when it was reduced to 10 years, but then increased to 15. By my reckoning, he would have been due one by either 1899 (10 year rule) or 1904 (15 years).

He has all of the usual good conduct reports.... even saved a ship he was on by diving underwater and freeing up the anchor!! --- against the Captains orders :o

Les.

He joined the navy 13 April 1889 and was to be pensioned off 13 April 1901, but actually stayed on until around 1910. Les.

Les,

In 1884 (the same time when the large service books were introduced) the period for continuous service was made 12 years, if that was satisfactory they’d re-engage for a further 10 years to qualify for a pension.

Fred

I'm going by a gut feeling. He joined in 1889, and left in 1910-ish. As per the Medal Yearbook, the entitlement was after 21 years until 1874 when it was reduced to 10 years, but then increased to 15. By my reckoning, he would have been due one by either 1899 (10 year rule) or 1904 (15 years).

Les,

The 10year rule changed to 15 years with effect from 31 December 1884 for new entrants. The sailor had to have a continuous run of 12 years with a VG conduct rating. So I agree your chap should have earned his medal around 1904 if he met that criteria. Other abbreviations were RMG (recommended for medal and gratuity), RM or MGR.

Fred

He has all of the usual good conduct reports.... even saved a ship he was on by diving underwater and freeing up the anchor!! --- against the Captains orders  :o

Les,

Useful man to have aboard! Did he receive anything for that, if not a medal maybe the captain made a presentation?

I’m probably teaching you to suck eggs, but have you checked his earlier ships to see if he qualified for medals from any other wars/ conflicts, not only the China and Boer War, but also the various African campaigns? My method is to go through Gordon’s Battles and Medals and cross check and then look up the rolls in ADM 171. A failing of the navy service sheets is that they do not records medals awarded for naval ratings.

Fred

Fred,

Interesting stuff this ship lark!! (or is that Navy Lark? :lol: )

I've managed to copy the info direct from his ships papers to Excel - so I can do refernce checks more often so as not to damage the original, plus it's easier to read.

Not knowing much about the movements of the Navy (pre war or war periods), I've attached 4 pics to show the ships, conduct etc.... as on checking, there's too many to list. Please let me know what you think. I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Les.

Do words like 'traced medal' (med or other abbreviation) appear on the record of service? If so a LSGC was issued on the date shown.

Fred,

Would the attached image be LSGC reference??

Or is this his pension??

Many thanks for your advice on this.

Roop

Fred,

Would the attached image be LSGC reference??

Or is this his pension??

Many thanks for your advice on this.

Roop

Roop

M of P = Ministry of Pensions

Fred