Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visit to Serre yesterday

JBee

Just a few photos (of many) from my walk around the Serre village and cemeteries.

The second photo, taken over the wall of Luke Copse cemetery drove home to me the short distance the poor fellas achieved before they fell. 

20190904_162810.jpg

20190904_155803.jpg

Walking up the path to Luke Copse cemetery,  looking back towards the copses.  It began to rain heavily and the noise of the rain on the wide, maize leaves brought to mind how all they would have heard was noise, shells and bullets. So, so sad. 

20190904_155139.jpg

Edited by JBee

Good pics.

An added poignancy to the last one ....looking back to the copse from Queens Cemetery.......with the ground in between filled with a maize crop, shortly to be cut down.

59 minutes ago, dah said:

Good pics.

An added poignancy to the last one ....looking back to the copse from Queens Cemetery.......with the ground in between filled with a maize crop, shortly to be cut down.

Agreed.

I could put on pics of the memorial plaques, the gates etc but we can see those all the time.

Sitting in both Luke Copse and Queens you get a sobering reminder of it all, not just from the headstones but from the locations to the copses. 

It poured with rain as I was in Luke cemetery. Nowhere to shelter. I got soaked.  Didn't care. Nowhere near what those before me had suffered. Things like that are a stark reminder.

Good stuff JBee. It's not very often in life that we don't mind getting soaked.

BillyH.