Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mere Military Funeral

SRD

On 06/09/2019 at 13:56, PRC said:

Am I correct that the building on the right, beside which the horse and trap are standing, is the side of the Mere Clocktower?

If so, then orientating from that and looking at various pictures of the area over the years, including Google Streetviews from 2011(see attached), then looks very much like all the trees on view were deciduous.

Given their state I would say the picture was taken between late autumn and early spring.

Here’s the trees around the Clocktower in February (2014).

12258004523_901453df38.jpgMere: War Memorial (Wiltshire) by Michael Day, on Flickr

Keep going back to the state of those trees - on that basis Driver Messenger, (died June) would be ruled out, while John Horrigan (February) would be a possibility.

Cheers,

Peter

14 hours ago, Moonraker said:

Rather more information about the murder is given in this

link

that I gave in  post 32.

Sorry, Moonraker. I should have gone to S***savers.

Acknown

• 1 year later...

I'm going off topic (but after 15 months I think this thread had run its course) to observe that a Mere postcard has just sold on eBay for £87.99 :w00t: which is the second-highest price for a "military Wiltshire" postcard that I can recall. Two unsuccessful bidders were also prepared to go very high. Dunno whether they were motivated by it featuring Mere or the Gillingham troop of the Dorset Yeomanry.

I've no idea of the postcard market, but that is an eye-opener!

Acknown

There are rather more interesting cards showing troops participating in the 1909 manoeuvres in Highworth and Shrivenham (featuring the Scots Greys, Queen's Regiment and senior officers)  that normally go for £25-35 each.

Gadzooks!  I can recall them going for 50p or a £1 each on market stalls, but that was well before the internet (or indeed the Great War Forum).  My late wife used to buy them for me with loose change.  Happy days!

Edited by FROGSMILE