The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Royal Rifle Corps - Myster

CKTennant

Hello, I am researching for a Friend.

Joseph Miller

Service number 694

Regiment King's Royal Rifle Corps

I have his record and his mother is mentioned etc So i know it is the right person.

It looks like he was applying for a pension and he was  discharged.

No I found another record of a memorial in the home town he was born in Portrush Antrim.

Memorial - Men Of Portrush District (WMR 21) Portrush Antrim

There is no service number mentioned or regiment.

Would he have been assigned to another regiment with a new number?

I have tryed contacting the memorial email on https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/name/218188

no joy there. I can't even find a death record of Joseph?? Any advice

He was #694 when he was discharged in Dec 14 but it would not be uncommon for him to have served again later in the war under a different number.

Is the memorial to those who died or those who served ?

Craig

6 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

He was #694 when he was discharged in Dec 14 but it would not be uncommon for him to have served again later in the war under a different number.

Is the memorial to those who died or those who served ?

Craig

Hi Craig,

It looks likes it is to those who died, Says Joseph died between 1914-1918

Joseph Miller who appears on the Portrush, Antrim War Memorial was indetified as probably being Pte Joseph Johnston by Robert Thompson when researching for his book published in 2001 Portrush Heroes 1914 -1918.

20186 Private Joseph Johnston
1st Bn. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 

Died of Wounds 26th October 1915
Aged 32

Born: Ballywillan, Portrush 1883
Son of Mary Jane Johnston
Enlisted: Clydebank, Glasgow

Buried in Alexandria (Chatby) Military Cemetery, Egypt, Row D, Grave 18.

I believe that Joe Johnston and Joe Miller were one and the same person, which explains why Joseph Johnston is missing from the Portrush War Memorial.

Although the years of birth differ, as the mothers name is the same,it is a possibility that this is Joseph Miller 694 KRRC who re-enlisted using the surname of his stepfather.

http://ulsterwarmemorials.net/html/portrush.html

https://lennonwylie.co.uk/RobertThompsonPortrush.htm

This last website gives the personal email of Robert Thompson.

There is an online tree on ancestry which confirms the remarriage of Mrs Mary Miller to Johnston in 1896.

694 Private Joseph Miller attested 18 September 1914 at Coleraine and was discharged medically unfit for further service on 17 December 1914 (Old injury to thigh. Flat Feet):

Miller.jpg.1221a0a44e32677570f55e0020b4ce71.jpg

JP

Relistment is looking more of a possibility, as CWGC entry for Joseph Johnston no 20186 gives his NOK as:  

Son of Mrs. Mary Jane Johnston, of 2, Lower Ken St., Portrush, Co. Antrim.

CWGC Headstone documents show NOK as:           Mrs M J Johnston, 2 Lower Kerr Street, Portrush, Antrim.

Service record of Joseph Miller 694 KRRC:          mother Mrs Mary Johnston 2 Lower Kerr Street, Portrush.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/109125/johnston,-/

Edited by travers61
cwgc entry not quoted

2 minutes ago, travers61 said:

Relistment is looking more of a possibility, as CWGC entry for Joseph Johnston no 20186 gives his NOK as:  

Son of Mrs. Mary Jane Johnston, of 2, Lower Ken St., Portrush, Co. Antrim.

CWGC Headstone documents show NOK as:           Mrs M J Johnston, 2 Lower Kerr Street, Portrush, Antrim.

Service record of Joseph Miller 694 KRRC:          mother Mrs Mary Johnston 2 Lower Kerr Street, Portrush.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/109125/johnston,-/

Thank you so much, It hadn't crossed my mind to search the Johnston Name as Mary's first husband Samuel Miller died and obviously Joseph took the Johnston name. You have no idea how much this has helped.

Soldiers' Effects for 20186 Joseph Johnston 1 Innis Fus died 17 General Hospital Alexandria 26 Oct 1915 has mother Mary J as sole legatee.

CWGC says age 32.

20186 J Johnson (no t) age 24  4 Innis Fus has 5 months service and 1 month in the field when treated for a buttock wound 27 Aug 1915 on HM Hospital Ship Assaye Mudros.

Medal card (name Johnston) arrival in the Balkans 18 Jul 1915 and has the 26 Oct death.

Earlier man was 23 in 1914 when rejected

No other 20186 Johnson or Johnston apparent.

Despite the different recording of age/battalion, looks like more evidence of the same man??

Max