Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Finding Artist

Chris Foster

I was gifted these wonderful sketches by my good friend Peter Doyle.

A long shot I know but I'm hoping that someone will be able to identify the Artist by the initials! I read them as G.O.A . what's throwing me however is the stroke attached to the A, it appears on all three initials from each sketch ! Over to you for suggestions  ?

Sketch-01.jpg

Sketch-02.jpg

Sketch-03.jpg

Sig-02.jpg

Sig-03.jpg

Sig-01.jpg

Edited by Chris Foster

17 minutes ago, Chris Foster said:

the initials! I read them as G.O.A .

I read it as G D A

just my opinion of course 

7 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

I read it as G D A

just my opinion of course 

And a good one I might add ! I was in two minds as to if it was the letter "O" or "D" but in the end I went with the former, but it could well be the latter !

Edited by Chris Foster

Peter, is my friend and co author of a number of books we've produced on the First World War. He very kindly gave me there sketches as a present. 

Ray, You're right, I've been back online and I think I've found my man. George Denholm Armour, he was an artist who had his works published in Punch amongst others.

"  With the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, he joined the Remount Stables near Southampton. Later during the war, he went to Rouen and also to the Macedonian front and it was for this, his period commanding the depot of the Army Remount Service in Salonika between 1917 and 1919, that he was appointed OBE in 1919"

https://www.rountreetryon.com/artists/237-george-denholm-armour/biography/

Its the initials !

GDA013.jpg

Pleased you have found him 

Lovely sketches enjoy them

I was just wading through a list of officers with the initials  G.D.A as I suspected that he may have been an officer with some previous training in drawing

as an aside I did come across an artist George Hatton who was killed in ww1 who's sketches are similar 

Ray

Ray, thanks to you for your conviction about the D. I knew he must have studied horses, just by the way he captured them . the article proves that point !

The man himself

large_000000.jpg

I have seen very similar sketches in 1914-1915 editions of Country Life.  They illustrate the saga of an unnamed subaltern (real or fictional) who ultimately loses his leg in 1915.

Edited by Hyacinth1326