So I've gotten so far In finding put about my great grand Uncle

M.Mooney 32360

Durham Light Infanty 22nd Battalion

Private 

KIA 26th March 1918 

Death German Spring Offensive 

Rosieres France 

Memorial : Pozieres Memorial, 80300 Ovillers-la-Boisselle, France

My question is is there any way at all of finding a group photo or something of this battalion or if anyone could point me in the direction in which to look for it , 

Would they have not taken a photo of each battalion before heading to war ? 

Or single photos of each soldier? 

Any help is greatly appreciated.  

Thanks 

Danny

Edited by DannyTr

Pictures of every soldier was not done. Maybe you might find one in local newspapers? Hopefully someone here may have a battalion type picture.

9 hours ago, DannyTr said:

Would they have not taken a photo of each battalion before heading to war ? 

Have you been able to confirm that he was actually with them before the 22nd Battalion landed in France on the 17th June 1916? It's very unlikely they would have had a picture taken of the full Battalion once they were overseas, particularly as they were the Divisional Pioneers, so if if went out as part of a replacement draft then there is very unlikely to be anything in existance. You're best hope of a larger unit picture, (company \ platoon) will come from a private collection and only then if it's made it into an archive like the Imperial War Museum or the Durham County Archive.

Best bets for an individual picture is going to be local press followed by county \ regimental archive.

If you are in the UK its very likely that your local library has free unlimited access to the British Newspaper Archive. Worth a try as it's searchable, (although the software used to transcribe articles is less than ideal) and they are adding new titles all the while.

Hope that helps,

Peter

His service papers have survived.  You can access them via Ancestry, (If you don't have a subscription you can see them at virtually every public Library.)  On enlistment he expressed a preference for the Connaught Rangers but was initially allocated to the 4th Btn DLI,  but left for France with the 10th (service) DLI 24/8/1916.  He was wounded twice,  Before his death - a gunshot wound to the finger of the right hand, on the 29/9/1916 and secondly a gun shot wound to the right thigh sometime in 1917.  I think he suffered his wounds with the 10th. btn.  DLI He was transfered to the 22nd, on 26/3/1917.   

Durham Pals, 18th. 19th. & 22nd battalions of the Durham Light Infantry in the Great War by John Sheen,  has a two page description of the action where Martin was killed - Somewhere around the Pertain/ Potte/ Morchain area.

I missed Danny's older post,  Most of the later service btns of the Durhams seem to be well photographed, so I thought he may be ID'd in Sheens book on the 22nd.