Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Army WW1

warthur

I have just read this excellent book about the role of the Indian Army in WW1

I was of course aware that the Meerut and Lahore division were in action on the Western front , especially during 1stYpres . I was not aware of the role of the Indian army on other fronts , Gallipoli for example . 

The narrative includes service details of many Indian soldiers and their British officers, There were 18 VC 's awarded to soldiers in the Indian Army during 1914-1918 . The book describes several of the actions which resulted the award of a VC 

Title. Army of Empire 

Hardcover: 608 pages
Publisher: Basic Books (December 4, 2018)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 046509404X
ISBN-13: 978-0465094042

Author 
George Morton -Jack

Does the book discuss the controversial matter of the inordinately high incidence of self inflicted wounds (SIW) ?

This has been discussed on the forum, but it’s a challenging and intriguing topic.

I always wonder if there’s a lot of wishful thinking when it comes to the story of the Indian Army.

Gordon Corrigan’s Sepoys in the Trenches gripped me.

Phil

39 minutes ago, phil andrade said:

Does the book discuss the controversial matter of the inordinately high incidence of self inflicted wounds (SIW) ?

This has been discussed on the forum, but it’s a challenging and intriguing topic.

Phil

Not especially: it's a more wide-ranging and general book than This One (available at a knock-down £73.99)

And to be fair, Phil, you're the one who gets most intrigued by anything to do with casualties :whistle:

4 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Not especially: it's a more wide-ranging and general book than This One (available at a knock-down £73.99)

And to be fair, Phil, you're the one who gets most intrigued by anything to do with casualties :whistle:

Steven,

That emoji is a face that I’ve not seen  before.  At the moment I’m most  intrigued by what it  might mean.

Phil