Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Mine Shrewsbury Forest 1915

The 21st  February 1915

The 16th Lancers were holding the line north of Klein Zillebeke on the edge of Shrewsbury Forest. 

The enemy's trenches ran parallel to those of the 16th at a distance varying from 15 to 50 yards only. 

In front of the right of D Squadron was a deep ditch which ran from the German trench to that occupied by the Squadron. 

It had been suspected for some days that the enemy was running a sap at the bottom of this ditch, and a close observation had been kept on it, but no sign of anything of the sort had been discovered. 

It turned out afterwards that the enemy had run a sap half way down it, but had turned off at a sharp angle and continued the sap underground until it ran under the centre of the trench of D Squadron.

Three mines had been placed at the end of it.

At 6 a.m. on the 21st one mine was fired, followed immediately afterwards by the other two, with the result that D Sqn’s trench was completely destroyed. 

Followed up with a strong attack on the trenches on each side of that held by D Squadron. There was of course much confusion and a hand to hand combat, in which the enemy was finally driven back by A Squadron and the reserve troop of D with a machine gun fire. 

A counter-attack was made by the three reserve troops. They were unable to regain the lost trench.   No further attempt was made to regain the lost trench, but a new one was dug in rear of it. 

When the roll was called it was found that 5 officers and 7 men were killed, an officer and 29 men wounded. In addition 1 officer and 11 men were missing.

I would be interested if anyone has further information on the above action.  I do have the Diaries of the 16 L and the 5 L.   

Thank you in advance .. Tony C

Tony,

I can only add the Cavalry Corps account and Casualties reported. I am sure that the 3rd Cavalry Brigade or 2nd Cavalry Division can add a little more. These are from WO95/572/4-1.

Andy

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 11.27.35.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 11.28.00.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 11.51.19.png

Edited by stiletto_33853