Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British vs Australian Boots

Blackblue

I know there are some other detailed threads on here, but I was hoping for a simple explanation of how the tell the difference between British and AIF boots.

What are the easily identifiable points of difference? 

Rgds

Tim 

• 3 weeks later...

First are AIF O/R boots, second are British O/R boots.  Doesn't seem to be much difference, apart from the fact that AIF boots appear to be more of a reddish brown as opposed to the British.  Hope these photos help.

Cheers,

Caleb

3828027.jpg

large_000000.jpg

Australian shoes made from kangaroo, I'm not sure about leather of English shoes.

Edited by clarke

One pair seem to be made of a grained [not smooth] leather - the other is not too clear

But the upper pair have more lace holes than the lower [8 v 7 (or 16 v 14 if you like)]

The lower pair has three lines of stitching coming forward from the arch

while the upper pair only has two

Edited by michaeldr

Hi All,both pairs look Australian to me.The second pair are identical to my pair that were made by Blundstone and son 1918

The second pair are type B5, British O/R boots, from the IWM, not Australian.  Interesting what you say, though. 

I'm not a boot expert, just to say :)

Cheers,

Caleb

I think that gronsksmil is right .They are both australian boots.The IWM makes  some mistakes .(the 1893 pattern french boots are …,british early war boots ,the 1912 italian boots are also british early ones.The first picture of australian boots are early war pattern of boots ,the second pair are late pattern( c1917-1918) I remerber that this pair are 1918 dated under the sole.The British B5 boots are often in a black smooth or grained peeble leather outside and the quarters are riveted. Some B5 boots are in a rough Brown leather outside .

Here a picture of  a pair of  British B5 boots 1917 dated (its better than my frenglish….)

Gérald

boots b5 002.JPG

• 2 weeks later...