Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th bn King's

koyli

Hi,

Would anyone have any information about the attack by the 6th Liverpools on the 5th of May 15 whilst regaining lost trenches at Hill 60. And especially the role that Lt T W Wilson played in this attack. He unfortunatly was killed during the attack.

Cheers

KOYLI

KOYLI,

From what I can gather from my source material, 2nd Duke od Wellingtons held the crest of the hill that morning. The Germans released gas which instead of drifting over the British lines tended to drift across the front line being held by the Dukes. Immediatley a gap was created due to the casualties incurred by the Dukes. 500 Dukes were in the line at the start of the attack and only 150 answered roll call that evening. Commander 15 Bde (Brig Gen E. Northerley) ordered forward troops to render assistance to try and plug the gap, first reaching the scene were 1st Dorsets. Northerley then orders forward from reserve 6th Kings and 1st Cheshires. Prior to them reaching the front the Germans launched a second gas attack on 1st Bedfords who held the line to the left of the 2nd Dukes. This attack caused the gap in our lines to widen and the Germans tried hard to exploit this gap and nearly caused the Dorsets to be cut off. It seems then that the Cheshires supported by a company from 6 Kings arrived and a fierce hand to hand fight begins which prevents the Germans from exploiting their earlier success. Although fighting continues the situation seems to ease.

German artillery had been pounding the Hill vigorously since the afternoon and to make matters worse Brit artillery made a limited response and shelled the trenches that had already been retaken by our infantry. As telephone wires had been cut by shelling there was no way to stop the Artillery. As the afteroon progresses the Kings, Cheshires, Dorsets and Dukes push the enemy back to the position where the Dorsets had entered the fight at 9.00am that morning. By 7 pm the crest of Hill 60 remained in German hands.

Unfortunately my source does not mention anything further on 6 Kings or does it mention Lt T.W. Wilson. I am only guessing but he was probably killed in the afternoon retaking the trenches.