Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vanishing point

Steviebullsatatter

Can anyone tell me what the vanishing point within delville wood represents or what the the meaning of those words mean.

12 minutes ago, Steviebullsatatter said:

Can anyone tell me what the vanishing point within delville wood represents or what the the meaning of those words mean.

In what context ?

Craig

I think it is referring to this series of photos ?

You will need to use Google Translate on this:

A vanishing point is a point on the image plane of a perspective drawing where the two-dimensional perspective projections (or drawings) of mutually parallel lines in three-dimensional space appear to converge.

Charlie

The vanishing point is typically used to display perspective in an epic and sweeping manner, when the photographer feels it’s necessary that the viewer understands the enormity of the area he’s shooting.

Edited by charlie962

13 hours ago, charlie962 said:

I think it is referring to this series of photos ?

You will need to use Google Translate on this:

A vanishing point is a point on the image plane of a perspective drawing where the two-dimensional perspective projections (or drawings) of mutually parallel lines in three-dimensional space appear to converge.

In the photos with roads in them, for example Courcelette, the vanishing point is where both sides of the road merge in the distance.  There is no vanishing point in that sense in the Delville Wood photo, I think the writer is using vanishing point in the literal sense of evidence of the war disappearing through time.

On 25/08/2019 at 08:45, Heid the Ba said:

In the photos with roads in them, for example Courcelette, the vanishing point is where both sides of the road merge in the distance.  There is no vanishing point in that sense in the Delville Wood photo, I think the writer is using vanishing point in the literal sense of evidence of the war disappearing through time.

Interesting observations....almost poetic