Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was the captain of the Millom cricket club(or team)?

Jools mckenna

This is related to the story of Samuel J Doidge who was a Bowler(at-least in the family legend) who was apparently signed up with his cricket team and was convinced by his cricket captain. To family legend, his commanding officer was his old Cricket captain, and I wonder if there is any truth to that. He served in A company, 2nd Battalion, Lincolnshire regiment if that's any help. Is it any possibility that the Captain of the cricket club(or team)'s name can be identified using Newspaper archives? This might all be a family myth and be completely wrong but it's worth an ask!

Edited by Jools mckenna

Jools: do you know the name of the Cricket Club and where was SJD from?

Edited by Mark1959

Unless he has an earlier service number hiding somewhere then #32825 Doidge seems to have enlisted around 5 June 16 so he was likely conscripted rather than voluntarily enlisted.

Craig

I am assuming he is the man Craig has identified. The medal roll implies he was in 7th Battn before 2nd.

1 minute ago, Mark1959 said:

I am assuming he is the man Craig has identified. The medal roll implies he was in 7th Battn before 2nd.

Title mentions Millom Cricket Club. At least one Doidge played for them.

Craig

Mark: I believe it carried the same name as the current club, Millom cricket club(but I'm not certain on that aspect.) He was from Million. His exact address was 40 Market Street, Milliom, Cumberland. Yes, he is the man identified. https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/184846/3/2/.

FWR have a transcribed record saying he was in War Office Daily List No.5760 dated 1/1/19 as "Released Prisoner of War from Germany, arrived in England"

ICRC: https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/184846/3/2/

Missing 27/5/18.

I have seen refs in the BNA for a J, a W and and A and a T Doidge playing for Millom in 1911-14. So if all his service was Lincs (we do not know about his home service) it is possible but unlikely the CO and he ended up in same Lincs Battalion. A needle in a haystack job without service papers.

Edited by Mark1959

Why not email the Chairman of the club which according to their web page can be reached at  steveandjudith@yahoo.co.uk

The captain of the club in 1914 and 1915 was W J Thompson. The local paper is on FmP archives, so has also scores from club matches. There seemed to be at least 2 Doidges playing

captain.jpg.8e67377bf24747e4a9f5fe7149337efa.jpg