Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Next week's Somme visit.

JBee

Have a nice trip Jbee.

I'll be visiting Serre this October, so do post how well your trip goes!

1 minute ago, KIRKY said:

Our first trip to the Somme way back we nearlyt starved! But be aware that some places to eat close at weekends or early in the week. Our favourites are Stomboli in Baupaume, Tommies in Poziers, Corner Pub in Albert , many places in Peronne and a Chinese Buffet in Albert!

Tony

Kirky, hi, that is so funny!

I work for an International Dept of the Uni and we cook chinese stir fries every single day. I will definitely not be going to that buffet in Albert :D

Thanks for the other recommendations though - Steak at Corner was recommended in an earlier thread as was Tommies.  Cheers.

Guest Ricard 51
8 minutes ago, JBee said:

Ricard, je m'excuse!

I did not know you were a gendarme. I retract my statement.

It was meant in fun. :thumbsup:

Absolutely no offence taken JBee.... l may be many things ... but grumpy rarely. Life is too short to stuff a mushroom, as they say!. 

Also be aware of random Breathaliser road blocks apparently they pop up everywhere! We were prewarned so only had a small beer every night and we were stopped outside Peronne and all was OK.:hypocrite: Perhaps Ricard 51 can warn us in advance where they will be in future!!:w00t:

Tony

JBee, you are probably well aware but if you are not I'd recommend as holiday reading the novel 'Covenant with Death' by John Harris. He was a Sheffield Star jounalist, and the book is, in all but name an account of the Sheffield City Btn, their raising, training at Redmires, and their inevitable destruction on the Somme.  'Two years in the making, a moment in the destroying'.  It must be 30yrs since I read it but I'd put it in the top tier of WW1 fiction in English.

Guest Ricard 51
7 hours ago, KIRKY said:

Also be aware of random Breathaliser road blocks apparently they pop up everywhere! We were prewarned so only had a small beer every night and we were stopped outside Peronne and all was OK.:hypocrite: Perhaps Ricard 51 can warn us in advance where they will be in future!!:w00t:

Tony

Bonjour Kirky.... l wouldn't bet the farm on being fore warned. Too many  drivers go off piste and into the betteraves and the drink drive death rate here is alarming. Best to stick to Chateau D'eau if you are behind the wheel, my friend.

5 hours ago, ServiceRumDiluted said:

JBee, you are probably well aware but if you are not I'd recommend as holiday reading the novel 'Covenant with Death' by John Harris. He was a Sheffield Star jounalist, and the book is, in all but name an account of the Sheffield City Btn, their raising, training at Redmires, and their inevitable destruction on the Somme.  'Two years in the making, a moment in the destroying'.  It must be 30yrs since I read it but I'd put it in the top tier of WW1 fiction in English.

Thankyou SRD

It arrived this week along with 'Somme' by Lyn Macdonald and 'Storms of Steel'.

Bank holiday reading at it's finest.

15 minutes ago, Ricard 51 said:

Bonjour Kirky.... l wouldn't bet the farm on being fore warned. Too many  drivers go off piste and into the betteraves and the drink drive death rate here is alarming. Best to stick to Chateau D'eau if you are behind the wheel, my friend.

or Uber...

Bet you don't see many of those around the Somme.

Sheffield is flooded with them and most of them can't drive and have no clue where they are going.

Hi JBee, 

I guess everything has been said, so I'll just repeat... relax and enjoy the trip. 

I don't have any relatives either who fought in the Great War, not on the Belgian side and certainly not on the Dutch side, but I got interested in the British side of the war as it happened in my country. 

I always find that even without the family connection, visiting a battlefield and the cemeteries around gives one a certain peace of mind. The battle was terrible and the suffering of course unimaginable, but seeing those beautifully attended to cemeteries reassures one that they are well taken care of and at peace now. There is nothing I like better than to walk around the battlefields, (cemetery hopping my friends call it) and just enjoy the quiet ... and the photographic challenge they pose every time! 

Have a good trip, I'm looking forward to hear about it. 

M.

JBee,

I can't fault all the good advice that other members have supplied. Ive been lucky to have visited the battlefields of France and Belgium a few times and I am sure you will not only conquer any fears but also have a fabulous experience and probably arrive home with planning your next trip in mind . You mention you have a number of books related to the subject and I wonder if you have a copy of "Before Endeavours Fade" (Rose McDonald from memory). I have owned a copy for around 20yrs and still find it a  useful guide as things that you and I may miss are pointed out, some of which may appear insignificant such as a small mound in a field covered in scrubby bushes only to find that mound was a CCS or machine gun emplacement 100 years ago.

In terms of driving in Europe consider this. Having never driven abroad I had to drive to Paris though fortunately not the centre. When we realised something was missing from our kit I was dispatched to find the missing bits and being pre sat nav days I ended up driving round the Place de la Concorde in a right hand drive 7.5t truck. I was about 22 at the time and came out unscathed. I'm sure you will cope with the roads of Northern France admirably, in my view take things steadily and you will have no problem.

I too have a history of depression and anxiety and absolutely admire your spirit in planning such a trip on your own, I think you will find it rewarding. 

Don't forget to post your photos as Im sure many members would be keen to share your experience, I certainly will.

Good luck,

Simon

P.S. Feel free to pm me if you think I can assist, our shared problem may feel at times like a continual uphill struggle but Im finally beginning to realise its not an insurmountable peak

22 hours ago, mancpal said:

JBee,

I can't fault all the good advice that other members have supplied. Ive been lucky to have visited the battlefields of France and Belgium a few times and I am sure you will not only conquer any fears but also have a fabulous experience and probably arrive home with planning your next trip in mind . You mention you have a number of books related to the subject and I wonder if you have a copy of "Before Endeavours Fade" (Rose McDonald from memory). I have owned a copy for around 20yrs and still find it a  useful guide as things that you and I may miss are pointed out, some of which may appear insignificant such as a small mound in a field covered in scrubby bushes only to find that mound was a CCS or machine gun emplacement 100 years ago.

In terms of driving in Europe consider this. Having never driven abroad I had to drive to Paris though fortunately not the centre. When we realised something was missing from our kit I was dispatched to find the missing bits and being pre sat nav days I ended up driving round the Place de la Concorde in a right hand drive 7.5t truck. I was about 22 at the time and came out unscathed. I'm sure you will cope with the roads of Northern France admirably, in my view take things steadily and you will have no problem.

I too have a history of depression and anxiety and absolutely admire your spirit in planning such a trip on your own, I think you will find it rewarding. 

Don't forget to post your photos as Im sure many members would be keen to share your experience, I certainly will.

Good luck,

Simon

P.S. Feel free to pm me if you think I can assist, our shared problem may feel at times like a continual uphill struggle but Im finally beginning to realise its not an insurmountable peak

Simon, thank you for the tips and also for sharing that you too have depression. I know it's not easy.

I'm determined to go and am not going to let the old 'black dog' stop me.  I plan on taking lots of photos to share once back. I know I will find it an emotional and rewarding trip.  

I feel more positive about it all now and have noted the advice of all these lovely people. Just got to get the GB sticker, find some poppy memorials to take with me and am off.  Will report back after the 9th!  

Jill

Jill,

there isn't much I can add other than to say have an enjoyable and safe trip. Ive now driven in about 14 countries over about 25yrs and still keep my wits about me when leaving the docks as some British drivers don't adapt as quickly as others but this dissipates within a few miles as traffic spreads and beyond that French roads are a pleasure after years of  British road chaos. I look forward to the photos.

Simon

Hey JBee ,

Not sure if you have seen it  , but the Somme then and now ( by MC C ) on youtube is well worth a watch before you go ( or when your over there ) . I watch it before I go and can't recommend it enough .

Have a great trip , you will be fine , it will not be your last .   Cheers   DD

Guest Ricard 51
On 28/08/2019 at 21:26, mancpal said:

Jill,

there isn't much I can add other than to say have an enjoyable and safe trip. Ive now driven in about 14 countries over about 25yrs and still keep my wits about me when leaving the docks as some British drivers don't adapt as quickly as others but this dissipates within a few miles as traffic spreads and beyond that French roads are a pleasure after years of  British road chaos. I look forward to the photos.

Simon

Bonjour..... a lot of RTA's involving les anglais occur when they have stopped to get fuel, or to shop or visit a bar/ café/ resto. Also after having made a visit to a cemetery or other historic memorial etc. They attempt to re-join the road, to the left hand side and the collision occurs. LOOK LEFT, THINK RIGHT is a good safety plan. Bonne route.

Guest Ricard 51

Bonjour..... usually only really dangerous when people  meddle with them!.  We have found Brits and others with all sorts of live ordnance in their cars.One time the gare du nord station had to be evacuated due to an over adventurous souvenir hunter!. 

I'm here (there?).

Already visited so many places and feel truly humbled.

I've started a new topic so I can put photos on, but in the meantime, this was today, at Bernafay Wood cemetery...

20190903_132257.jpg

JBee,

so pleased to hear that your trip was not just a success in personal terms but an informative, thought-provoking experience. From your posts it seems that you didn’t take your “black-dog”with you and well done , next time you go (which I bet you will) you can borrow mine as long as you promise not to return the beast to me !

Once again we’ll done and delighted your trip was a success,

Simon

46 minutes ago, mancpal said:

JBee,

so pleased to hear that your trip was not just a success in personal terms but an informative, thought-provoking experience. From your posts it seems that you didn’t take your “black-dog”with you and well done , next time you go (which I bet you will) you can borrow mine as long as you promise not to return the beast to me !

Once again we’ll done and delighted your trip was a success,

Simon

Simon, thankyou.

It was a brilliant experience and I'm so glad I did it.

Am putting pics on another thread if you want to see where I went. 'Somme Visit Underway'. 

Black dog was left at home and is currently nowhere to be seen. 👍🙂

Jill

Edited by JBee

Jill, 

I've been looking at your photos on the other thread, evidently a successful trip.

Simon