Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Red Cross Volunteers

I am researching a chap who survived the war, having joined up in 1917 once he was 18. Before that, he was with the Volunteer Force at home during 1916; he also appears to have volunteered with the Red Cross and actually been in France from June-August 1915 - aged just 16! Red Cross database does not show him, but we have a post-war letter from them confirming the award of a 1915 Star for his service. 

Were there age limits for volunteers? How usual was it for youngsters to have been overseas with BRCS? What and where might he have been? 

Thanks for your thoughts! 

Unfortunately I don't have the information available now. A very distant relative (or not; see below) seems to have served with the Red Cross in France aged 15/16. I did find his medal roll entry. However I believe that he was (living?) in France at the beginning of the war.

I am sorry to be so vague. His mother was divorced by her husband (a distant relative of mine) in the early 1900s. The baby was clearly not her husband's. Mother and son then moved around a lot.

RM

Edit: Of course pre-conscription he could have lied about his age to the Red Cross. (I had wondered about this for my man - particularly as by then he was making his own way in the world.

Edited by rolt968

Thanks Rolt - most interesting. I suppose that for many people in 1915, there was a feeling of needing to be involved. Maybe it was easier to get involved underage by joining BRCS? 

Edited by Guest

Here is a website included in the CEF Study Group's "List of Recommended Great War Websites".  The full list is about 205 pages.  Borden Battery

British Red CrossFirst World War Volunteers Data Base

Over 90,000 people volunteered for the British Red Cross at home and overseas during the war.  This portion of the larger website enables one to undertake a name, hospital and/or role-duty search. The British Red Cross Society, incorporated by Royal Charter 1908, is a charity registered in England and Wales (220949), Scotland (SC037738) and Isle of Man (0752).[Recommended by canadawwi ] [CEF Study Group – Aug 2019]

https://vad.redcross.org.uk/