Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Request for map of La Boisselle in Official History

johntaylor

I'm currently preparing a map for the next edition of Lochnagar Crater Today, the excellent magazine produced by the Friends of Lochnagar Crater on the Somme. I really need a good quality scan of a map which is said to appear in the Official History, though unfortunately I can't find it in there! The map is shown below, but unfortunately this is quite low-res and I really need something better to incorporate some information into the finished map.

Although the map attached below is described as being from the Official History, it doesn't appear in the main volume (Military Operations France & Belgium covering July 1), which has a much less detailed sketch of La Boisselle. I'm assuming there may be a book of appendices containing more detailed maps, but haven't been able to find a copy.

If anyone can help, I'd be incredibly grateful.

Many thanks, John

attack-of-34th-division-official-history.jpg.f87278fd37cf41ef2f701194bed1767e.jpg

There are map sets accompanying most if not all sets of the official history and these are to be found for example in the Naval and Military press DVD of the France and Flanders volumes, but I don't know whether thety would allow you access to their protected scans. I htink they are probably the core of the Western Front Association map DVD as well, and again you would need to contact them, or read the copyright/copying guidance in the disk.  https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/shop/dvds/mapping-the-front-dvd-the-official-history-maps/

The map is in the 1916 Volume 1 map case , its much too big to scan without special equipment.

Charlie

Many thanks to all for your advice, and for confirming that the map I need is indeed contained in the separate volume of maps/appendices. Unfortunately this volume is missing from the library I use, and it's hardly worth purchasing the DVD for the limited information I need.

However, special thanks go to Howard for sending me the jpeg - this is exactly what I'm looking for, and the resolution is perfect. There are no copyright issues as I will be incorporating some information into my map, but not reproducing it in its entirety.  So many, many thanks for this - if you PM me with your full name then I'll ask for a "thanks to..." note to be added to the article in Lochnagar Crater News.

All the best, John

Edited by johntaylor

13 hours ago, johntaylor said:

- if you PM me with your full name then I'll ask for a "thanks to..." note to be added to the article in Lochnagar Crater News.

Just credit the WFA.

Howard

I'll pass on the request Howard, many thanks again.

All the best, John

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I was watching an old documentary on youtube about archeology in northern France and found a short footage showing the Lochnagar and I believe Y-sap ? I can't remember if it has been already posted somewhere on the forum.

It's at 1.18

Can anyone confirm that it is Y-Sap ?

Thank you and merry Christmas

Sly

Edited by Sly

In 1971 according to the documentary itself - not trying to be smart as I couldn't detect Y-Sap!

image.png.3249ccdcf962139e87afe82061de2f73.png

That's fascinating - many thanks for pointing this out, and I'll pass it on to my friend Rob Kirk who edits the journal Lochnagar Crater Today. I think he'll be interested in using some stills and writing something about this.

All the best, and hope you're having a great Christmas, John