Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map of Nieuwpoort in April 1918

The Prussian

Hello!

Does someone have a map of the area of Nieuwpoort around February 12, 1918?

I need infos about the "Violette Ferme", if it was in british or german hands.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by The Prussian

There is a Violette Ferme in T 2 C on this map, but it is dated July 1917. I will try and find out later which British Divisions were there in February 1918 and check the HQ War Diaries.

Brian

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464843

Edited by brianmorris547

All the Allied maps I have are 1917. I do have this German 1:100,000 map which is not very detailed but is dated 1st April. It shows where the Germans thoughts the lines were. It by far the nearest to your date that I have.

Zusammendruck für die 4.Armee 01/04/1918 Feindliche Anlagen vor der 4.Armme

Howard

image.png

Nieuwpoort.jpg

Maps of July 1917 and September 1918 both show Violette Farm to be an outpost in German hands.

(Back to the question, the British were no longer in that northern part of the front. XV Corps handed over to French 36 Corps in November 1917. Added after AOK4 comment below: their sector never reached as far south as the line facing Violette Farm)

Edited by Chris_Baker

Violette Farm was the Belgian sector, if I'm not mistaken?

Hello mates!

Thanks a lot for all your help!

So I assume, that the ferme was in german hands in July 17 as well as in September 18. So probably also in February 18.

I´m glad you Allies still have such detailed trench maps. The german sources are very rare...

This is a Belgian Plans Directeur, 1:20,000 dated 5th Sept 1918.

It seems Violette Farm was in German hands then. Note the Canadian sounding names in pencil at the bottom, I have done no research to find out why.

Howard

Nieuwpoort2.jpg

Hello Howard!

Thanks a lot for the map! Well, I think, the Canadians were near Cambrai that time. It really looks like, Violette was a german outpost.

Unfortunately most of the maps don´t show the units. Maybe Brian can find out something about the british divisions? But I also think, from Houthulst to the sea were belgian forces.

So far great work, mates!

Edited by The Prussian

12 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello Howard!

Thanks a lot for the map! Well, I think, the Canadians were near Cambrai that time. It really looks like, Violette was a german outpost.

Unfortunately most of the maps don´t show the units. Maybe Brian can find out something about the british divisions? But I also think, from Houthulst to the sea were belgian forces.

So far great work, mates!

germandocsinrussia Akte 221 and 222...

Hello Jan!

Thanks a lot for the info!!!!!!

Edited by The Prussian

Hi,

I wrote a book about the farms on the left side of the Yser, and held by the Germans.

Violette was in German hands in february 1918, as it dwas during the, entire war, except on 30 September 1918, when taken by the Belgians in the moring,  but lost again that same evening.

regards,

Cnock

Hello Cnock!

Thanks a lot! Great info! Is the book already available?