Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

English plane ww1

Laurent

Hi Laurent,

Do you know anything about this picture, like when it was taken or where?

It must have been early in the war, because the Union Jack is being used on the aircraft instead of the roundel

Matt.

Laurent

The machine is certainly a BE 2c, with a serial number ending in '44' and, judging from the markings - the small Union flag and roundels - captured in 1915 or perhaps early 1916.

On 26 September 1915 Capt F B Binney of No 12 Sqn RFC was flying alone in BE 2c 1744 when he was brought down by anti-aircraft fire and captured south of Phalempin. He was on a bombing mission and was seen bombing a train from 500 feet before being forced to land, when the aeroplane ended up on its nose. Capt Pinney the first casualty for No 12 Sqn; he was repatriated on 14 June 1916.

I wonder if 1744 might be your aeroplane?

Regards

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Yes I have seen another photo of Binney's crash from, I think, 'The Sky Thier Battlefield'.

Have you seen that also?

Certainly the two pictures look very similar. There is a large crowd inspecting the plane in both photos, so it's a very good possibility.

Good thinking !

Matt

I looked through The Sky Their Battlefield but managed to miss the photograph, which is now attached.

It does look very much like the same aeroplane in the same circumstances.

Regards

Gareth

post-25-1107460423.jpg

Hi Laurent,

Do you know anything about this picture, like when it was taken or where?

It must have been early in the war, because the Union Jack is being used on the aircraft instead of the roundel

Matt.

Sorry but i don't have any kind of information about this picture.

Thank you !

Regards Laurent.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just an update.

A relative of mine bought a book from a charity shop the other day entitled 'Richthofen - Beyond The Legend Of The Red Baron' by Peter Kilduff.

One of the pictures shows BE2c no.1744 in enemy hands.

It has been repaired and looks as if it is about to be taken for a test-flight.

Below the photo it says that Hptmn Otto Zimmer-Vorhaus (who is in the photo) was commander of FA18 - the unit where the BE2c was sent - when this aircraft was brought down by rifle fire on 26th September 1915.

I have Hptmn Von Gersdorff as being CO of this unit until at least mid-October 1915.

Can anyone clarify this? :unsure:

Regards

Matt.

• 4 years later...

Capt F B Binney RFA/RFC

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone is still watching .. I dont suppose any RFC expert has a photo of Capt Binney? I think I may have him in a poor quality group (prewar) photo when he was still an artillery Lt .. and wonder if it could be confirmed which is he ..

thanks ,, if a long shot, I know ..

david