Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IFCP and death plaques.

museumtom

I wondered if a soldier was added to the CWGC through IFCP they would be entitled to a headstone and if they were entitled to a headstone surely they would be entitled to a death plaque also?. 

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Good question Tom.

The first part- if their grave is now known but unmarked, then I'd have thought yes they were entitled. If their place of burial is newly re- discovered and already marked with an ordinary family headstone, then again I think they would be entitled to a stone, but the grave custodians might not wish to have one.

The second part- Were the criteria for a scroll and plaque the same as the criteria used for acceptance by the CWGC?

I don't know.

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

I wondered if a soldier was added to the CWGC through IFCP they would be entitled to a headstone and if they were entitled to a headstone surely they would be entitled to a death plaque also?. 

Kind regards.

Tom.

My understanding is that the award of Plaque and Scroll was not in any way dependent upon a CWGC commemoration. I believe that the Plaques and Scrolls were made into the 1920's but that when production stopped that was it, and that production did not start again for any who had been missed but were subsequently deemed to have been entitled.

Regards,

Mike

• Admin

As noted on an earlier thread some plaques were still being issued beyond the cut off date for the CWGC but the majority were distributed in 1919-20, so well within the dates for the CWGC.  The criteria at the time was for all who died in service, and many of those who would have been entitled died at home from illness and were often interred in the local churchyard.  As a consequence they may have been 'missed'  by the CWGC but the next of kin may still have received the plaque and scroll in the original issue.

The issue of the plaques to within the United Kingdom was a separate process to that of of medals, next of kin were required to complete Army Form W 5080 which was sent to them.

If they had moved, died or remarried many plaques were not issued, you often see requests by the Record Office in the local newspaper to try and trace them.

It is not possible to request a replacement, they were initially manufactured in a factory at Acton and later at Woolwich Arsenal, the latter is now a housing development.  Even in 1919 there were manufacturing difficulties and as a consequence the scroll and plaque were sent out at different times.  

The purpose of the plaque and scroll was to commemorate the death and offer some solace to the immediate next of kin, who by now are also probably deceased.

If there was an entitlement and the next of kin did not receive one the practical and logistical difficulties of reissue would seem to render it impossible for the plaque to be issued now, though I believe facsimile scrolls and reproduction plaques are available. 

Ken

Thank for all your comments lads, a lot there to consider. Dai, the criteria for inclusion in the CWGC nowadays is much tougher than it was in the old days. The soldier must have died from whatever he was discharged with, you must have his death cert. It must say in his records that what he was discharged with was aggravated by or caused by war service.

Kind regards.

Tom.