Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Dust Jacket Collector

Moss Bros advert - Cavalry - information needed.

Dust Jacket Collector

I’ve just bought this pen and ink drawing of mounted cavalry. It was apparently used for a Moss Bros advertisement. There’s no date but I’d guess it was from the time of the Great War, maybe advertising their Service Kit. The only give away might be the use of Puttees but I think they were still in use well into the 1930s. No idea who the artist is either. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

1C5047D6-0F3F-4D45-82F1-96E5AE882E1D.jpeg.c2d17056e042db53ab869d63ca5e3a17.jpeg

Steven Broomfield

It's a very good representation of lancers of the Great War period up to the time of mecahnisation in the 1920's/30's. Generic, I'd say, but drawn by someone who knew what he was doing.

Dust Jacket Collector
56 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

It's a very good representation of lancers of the Great War period up to the time of mecahnisation in the 1920's/30's. Generic, I'd say, but drawn by someone who knew what he was doing.

Thanks Steven. Did they carry those lances during the War?

Steven Broomfield
1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Thanks Steven. Did they carry those lances during the War?

They did indeed.

Dust Jacket Collector
22 hours ago, helpjpl said:

Thanks JP. My artist may well be in there but they require me to subscribe before I can view it. 

helpjpl
4 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Thanks JP. My artist may well be in there but they require me to subscribe before I can view it. 

That'a a shame.  The horses are particularly well drawn and with relatively few strokes of the pen. There's a real sense of movement.

Can you access and trawl through copies of The Graphic, The Sphere,  and The London Illustrated News?

JP

Dust Jacket Collector
1 hour ago, helpjpl said:

That'a a shame.  The horses are particularly well drawn and with relatively few strokes of the pen. There's a real sense of movement.

Can you access and trawl through copies of The Graphic, The Sphere,  and The London Illustrated News?

JP

Thanks for reminding me. I do have a bound copy of the Sphere for 1917. I’ll take a look. I’ve seen some ads for Moss Bros & Aquascutum from the War which look very similar. It’s certainly a rather accomplished drawing. £40 well spent.

DavidOwen

Dust Jacket Collector
4 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Thanks David. A bit more action in that one. Probably an oil painting. Looks a bit like Richard Caton Woodville whose images often appeared on postcards of the period.

helpjpl

Your illustration is set in France or Belgium - poplar trees in background.

Edit:  I don't know if this helps in your search for M.T. - imo the men are a little bit flat compared to the horses which are full of life.

M.T..jpg.a33a9ef113a14546efb8da877e928094.jpg

JP

Edited by helpjpl