Remembered Today:

11th DSC ASC (MT)

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Could anybody hazard a guess at a possible ASC company number for this chap?:

Owen Griffith Jones, T4/172939

The T4 suggests Horse Transport.

His  Protection Certificate/ Z11 I think says "11 DSC" and "France"

Link

On the previous page in his service record (A pension claim made in 1921), it states RASC (MT).

So, putting the 11th Divisional Supply  Column, MT & France together would suggest 714 (MT) Coy ASC.

His MIC has no unit information.

It looks as though he was transferred back from France in  March 1918 due to Varicose Ulcers, presumably for Home duties and there is reference at this time to 7 MT Coy, and at call up in 1916 was allocated to "K" Supply Coy.

Any other offers?

His entry in the Anglesey Absent Voters List reads:

image.png.12ec2444bbb79b29c9fb749e2f18e416.png

There is one medical record for a T4/172932 OG Jones in 1916 that gives unit as BHT which probably means Brigade Horse Transport. He was out very quickly after enlistment. Says 6 weeks service and 3 with field force.  This seems to fit with the docs in your link.  Admitted 23/8/16 to 2 Gen Hosp at Le Havre. Discharged to duty 14/9/16.

Mmmm lots of MT mentioned Dai but like you say the T4 prefix does suggest horse transport. Without any other abbreviations to the ASC company it’s difficult to say especially with what Mark has added. K Supply Company was based at Aldershot and dealt with amongst other things MT training, I haven’t yet looked at the link to the documents but 7 MT Reserve Depot ASC comes to mind. 

J

Thanks J,

His original papers show he had poor eyesight, vision only 6/60 in both eyes. (Only able to see the top big letter from 6 ft.) So he was rejected by the infantry and transferred to ASC.

As a driver...

He was a farm labour previously so that might make sense. 

Can't really work out when he became MT.

7 (Div) MT Co was 336 Co ASC. 11 Div Supply Column was 714 Co ASC. BHT is BASE Horse Transport Depot aka 10 (HT) Co. ASC. As others have pointed out, the T prefix indicates horse transport but the divisional companies quoted were definitely mechanised transport. Presumably he was given glasses to correct his eyesight before being allowed to drive lorries (although he may have been a supply handling private/corporal rather than an actual driver).

Ron

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

(although he may have been a supply handling private/corporal rather than an actual driver).

Thanks Ron,

Yes I think that is more likely.

I only found out about him yesterday for the first time, (clues are in the service record). He was married to my Great Grandmother's sister & they must have lived in a house not 20 yards away from where my grandfather (their nephew) lived when called up into the ASC(MT) in May 1916.