Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Base Depot Discussion & Questions

ss002d6252

2 hours ago, johnboy said:

Do you have anything on Ostrohove , near Boulogne, Was it an IBD or just reception camp?

Just reception camps as far as I'm aware.

Craig

19 minutes ago, RussT said:

You could download (for free) the War Diary of the Calais Base Commandant and see if there is anything of relevance to your query

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=wo+95+calais

Regards

Russ

Thank you Russ.

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

I don't, this was just what was in the list in the diary.

I've not seen a list of facilities - I am aware of the ASC petrol filling facilities etc etc but past that I don't know. I might give the diaries another look to see what they say.

Craig

Thanks Craig, there is mention in a thread in the forum of significant facilities set up in what had been an old woodmill and canal that was named after the family that owned it.  A large place, it seems that associated camps were implicated in the “mutinies” (Percy Toplis?), but what I’m trying to ascertain is what medical facilities were there.  Perhaps unsurprisingly given its strategic location, there appears to have a really quite large military administrative concentration at Calais, but its extent is as yet unclear.

Edited by FROGSMILE

48 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thanks Craig, there is mention in a thread in the forum of significant facilities set up in what had been an old woodmill and canal that was named after the family that owned it.  A large place, it seems that associated camps were implicated in the “mutinies” (Percy Toplis?), but what I’m trying to ascertain is what medical facilities were there.  Perhaps unsurprisingly given its strategic location, there appears to have a really quite large military administrative concentration at Calais, but its extent is as yet unclear.

I'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can see, I'm sure there'll be mention in what I have.

Any particular medical facilities?

Base facilities certainly seem to be almost forgotten about, so little is known.

Craig

12 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can see, I'm sure there'll be mention in what I have.

Any particular medical facilities?

Base facilities certainly seem to be almost forgotten about, so little is known.

Craig

Yes, I think it’s a medical base facility, possibly No4.

12 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, I think it’s a medical base facility, possibly No4.

In late 1914
image.png
(official medical history)

From what I can find by going through the medical history so far to add to the above.

Havre (#2 depot, moved to Calais  in 1915), Boulogne (#1 depot), Rouen  (#3), Etaples (#6 opened in July 1915)*, Abbeville (#13 depot, opened  end of 1916).

image.png

Calais also later had,

Splint making shop
Cutler' shop for repair of instruments
Electroplating plant for medical instruments

Craig

9 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

In late 1914
image.png

From what I can find by going through the medical history so far to add to the above.

5 medical depots - Havre (#2 depot, moved to Calais  in 1915), Boulogne (#1 depot), Rouen  (#3), Etaples, Abbeville (#13 depot, opened  end of 1916). I think #4 was probably Etaples.

Calais also later had

Splint making shop
Cutler' shop for repair of instruments
Electroplating plant for medical instruments

Craig

Thank you for taking the time and trouble Craig.  If there was a #13 depot one would assume their might have been a #4 of some type, somewhere, if they followed in numerical sequence (I realise not always a given).  Perhaps one or all of the Med workshops that you mentioned as at Calais comprised a depot.

The reason I asked is because a poster on another matter has shown a service record that I am confident reads 4 Med B BD, and states that its location was Calais.  I was/am curious as to what its function might have been. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you for taking the time and trouble Craig.  If there was a #13 depot one would assume their might have been a #4 of some type, somewhere, if they followed in numerical sequence (I realise not always a given).  Perhaps one or all of the Med workshops that you mentioned as at Calais comprised a depot. 

Just edited my post as you posted to add something else I found.

They used #1-3, then jumped to #6 and #13 (and later a #14 in Italy).

Craig

2 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Craig

Apologies, mind was still processing and didn’t seem necessary to add another post.  Thank you.  There’s something odd I think, as I’m pretty sure it says ‘4 Med’, as mentioned.

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Craig

It’s this thread that I’m referring to: 

The official histories have no #4 medical base depot (or #4 advanced medical stores depot) in their list of units so it's not clear what the clerk was referencing.

Craig

I sent this to one of our French forum members last year:

British Army Locations Calais and Surrounding Area.

1. Fort Nieulay - Remount Depot.

2.  Peuplingues

No 4 Veterinary Hospital , No  5 Remount Depot, Australian Veterinary Hospital. Chinese camp, Women’s Auxiliary  Army Corps camp

3. Vendroux Depot

Started in May 1917, this was a substantial  ordnance, supply personnel  and stores depot located between the Guines and St Omer Canals. It also housed reception camps for Prisoner of War Works and Labour Companies. In addition camps were also constructed for Chinese labour, Signal, guard and military police as well as headquarters and office buildings.  To provide for the welfare of some 9 to 10 thousand troops located there, bath houses, sports grounds , huts for various religious denominations, YMCA and YWCS, cinema,  post and post office buildings were constructed. A Church of England was created by the padre from an old barn

4. Fontinettes

An entraining station for troops, it also had offices and camps for for the various departments dealing with railway transport and management.   This district also housed a petrol depot consisting of four sub-depots, camps for four Chinese labour companies (Pont de Leu, Pont a Trois, Digue Romaines)  and at Le Baraques there was the Reserve Vehicle Park.

5. Valdelievre

Army Service Corps camp, Army Ordnance Corps camp, Chinese camp, Prisoner of War camp.

6. Beaumarais

HQ Camp, Nos 1,2 and 3 Leave Camps. Officers Leave camp. Garrison Battalion camp. General Base Depot. WAAC Camp, Horse transport Camp, Transportation Troops Base Depot, Medical Camp, Field Punishment compound, 4 x prisoner of War camps, Ordnance camp, Segregation Camp, Training School.

7.  Les Attaques

7 x Prisoner of War Camps, Royal Engineers Camp (1st Base Park Company  and detachment of Royal Engineers Special Brigade responsible for the central cylinder (chemical warfare) store . This was located between the railway line and canal.   No 5 Military Prison

8. Wissant

Vehicle Park and Motor Transport School of Instruction

9  Coulogne

Battalion Camp, Prisoner of War Camps, Labour Group Headquarters, Field Punishment Compound, various anti-aircraft stations and searchlights. Special Factory Section.

7 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

2.  Peuplingues

No 4 Veterinary Hospital , No  5 Remount Depot, Australian Veterinary Hospital. Chinese camp, Women’s Auxiliary  Army Corps camp

3. Vendroux Depot

Started in May 1917, this was a substantial  ordnance, supply personnel  and stores depot located between the Guines and St Omer Canals. It also housed reception camps for Prisoner of War Works and Labour Companies. In addition camps were also constructed for Chinese labour, Signal, guard and military police as well as headquarters and office buildings.  To provide for the welfare of some 9 to 10 thousand troops located there, bath houses, sports grounds , huts for various religious denominations, YMCA and YWCS, cinema,  post and post office buildings were constructed. A Church of England was created by the padre from an old barn

4. Fontinettes

An entraining station for troops, it also had offices and camps for for the various departments dealing with railway transport and management.   This district also housed a petrol depot consisting of four sub-depots, camps for four Chinese labour companies (Pont de Leu, Pont a Trois, Digue Romaines)  and at Le Baraques there was the Reserve Vehicle Park.

5. Valdelievre

Army Service Corps camp, Army Ordnance Corps camp, Chinese camp, Prisoner of War camp.

6. Beaumarais

HQ Camp, Nos 1,2 and 3 Leave Camps. Officers Leave camp. Garrison Battalion camp. General Base Depot. WAAC Camp, Horse transport Camp, Transportation Troops Base Depot, Medical Camp, Field Punishment compound, 4 x prisoner of War camps, Ordnance camp, Segregation Camp, Training School.

7.  Les Attaques

7 x Prisoner of War Camps, Royal Engineers Camp (1st Base Park Company  and detachment of Royal Engineers Special Brigade responsible for the central cylinder (chemical warfare) store . This was located between the railway line and canal.   No 5 Military Prison

8. Wissant

9  Coulogne

Battalion Camp, Prisoner of War Camps, Labour Group Headquarters, Field Punishment Compound, various anti-aircraft stations and searchlights. Special Factory Section.

Thanks Terry - the ASC Petrol depot is interesting as I was trying to tie it down for something else (location of the petrol can filling station).

Craig

I had forgotten about this thread. Maybe this is the right place to post this:

“I was researching a MT driver in the CASC. In January 1919, he was posted to the CASC Pool, Beaurainville and then to the MT Detachment, CASC Depot Beaurainville. This town/village had not appeared in any other records I had looked at. Were there other CEF installations there?“

All the best,

Gary

46 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The official histories have no #4 medical base depot (or #4 advanced medical stores depot) in their list of units so it's not clear what the clerk was referencing.

Craig

Thank you Craig, noted.  Unclear.

29 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

2.  Peuplingues

3. Vendroux Depot

4. Fontinettes

5. Valdelievre

6. Beaumarais

7.  Les Attaques

8. Wissant

9  Coulogne

Thank you for that list Terry, it’s interesting and gives a good idea of the sheer scale of what was going on in and around the Calais area.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dieppe Miscellaneous depots and camps

3 Base Remount Depot - Janval camp (opened 13 Jan 1915) and Hautot Camp (opened 14 Jan 1915).
No 9 Veterinary Hospital (opened 27 Dec 1914).
Deippe Bakery (opened 30 August 1916).
Base Supply Depot (opened 18 Dec 1914).
Motor Transport Depot (opened 30 Nov 1916).
Shangahi Camp (opened 30 April 1917).
Port Construction Camp (opened 30 May 1917).
Marine Camp (opened 4 June 1917).
Taku Camp (20 July 1917).
Laundry Camp (opened 16 Oct 1916).
Pekin Camp (opened 30 Aug 1916).
RE Stores & Workshops (opened 30 Sep 1917).
Landing Wharf (opened 23 Nov 1915).
Incinerator (opened 30 Nov 1918).
No15 Ordnance Depot (opened 30 June 1917).
Ordnance general stores (opened 1 Oct 1916).
Lower Camp (opened 30 Jun 1917).
Chinese Camp (opened 20 Dec 1916).
Disciplinary battalion camp (opened 20 Dec 1916).
Upper White Camp (opened 20 Dec 1916)
QMAAC Camp (opened 6 Sep 1917).
HQ LoC (opened 18 July 1918) - including men's camp, QMAAC Camp, 43Aux Petrol Company detachment.
Infantry Base Details Camp (opened 25 May 1915).
No 6 Military Prison (opened 4 Feb 1917).
AA Camp (opened 30 Mar 1917).
Bakery Camp (opened 30 Dec 1916) - including men's camp, QMAAC Camp
POW Camp (opened 2 Dec 1917).
No 5 Stationary Hosupital (opened 10 May 1915).
No 1 Native Labour General Hospital (opened 31 Dec 1916).
Demobilization Camp (Martin Eglise)
No 2 Reinforcement Training Camp (opened 31 Aug 1918).

Craig

Le Treport Miscellaneous depots and camps
No 3 General Hospital (opened Dec 1914).
No 16 General Hospital (opened Feb 1915).
No 2 Canadian General Hospital (opened Feb 1915).
No 3 Convalescent Depot (opened June 1915).
No 16 General Hospital (Isolation Division) (opened Dec 1915).
No 7 Canadian Hospital (opened 1916).
No 47 British General Hospital (opened 1916).
No 10 BRC Hospital
VAD Camp (opened May 1917)
RE Workshops & Stores (Mar 1915).
Horse Rest Camp (EU) (opened Mar 1917).
Horse Rest Camp (MERS) (opened 1917).
Tanks Camp (opened Sep 1917)
POW Camp (Pont et Marais) (opened 1917).
Army Ordnance Camp (Mers) (opened Oct 1917).
Rifle Range (opened 1918).
Chinese Labour Camp (Mers) (opened Jan 1918).
Chinese Labour Camp (Criel) (opened Jan 1918).
PoW Compound, Isolation Hospital (opened 1918).
PoW Compound (Le Treport) (opened 1918).
No 2 E F Canteens
No 2 YMCA Recreation Huts
No 1 YMCA Cinema
No 1 Canadian RCS Recreation Hut
No 1 Salvation Army Hut
No 1 BRCS Recreation Hut
No 1 Church Army Hut
No 1 RC Church Hut
No 4 Base Supply Depot (MT)
Bakery
Ammunition Wharf

Craig

No 4 Base Supply Depot Dieppe

Unit

Date of Arrival

From

Remarks

No 2 Depot Unit of Supply

Rouen

On opening of Depot

No 14

Rouen

On opening of Depot

No 129

Havre

For duty

No 133

Marseilles

For duty

No 148

Havre

For duty

No 154

Havre

For duty

No 187

Rouen

For duty

No 227

Rouen

For duty

No 26 Field Bakery

Havre

Nucleus new bakery

No 39 Field Bakery

Rouen

Nucleus new bakery

No 43 Field Bakery

Rouen

For duty

No 52 Field Bakery

Havre

For duty

No 27 Field Bakery

Rouen

For Duty

No 33 Field Bakery

Havre

For Duty

No 34 Field Bakery

Boulogne

For Duty

No 16 Field Bakery

Rouen

For Duty

A Sect 7 Labour Coy

Le Mans via Rouen

Orig detachment  of 11 Labour Coy. To Dieppe on opening of Depot

B Sect 7 Labour Coy

Rouen

Formerly No 2 Sect, 1 Labour Coy

D Sect 7 Labour Coy

Havre

Formerly No 4 Sect of 3 Labour Coy

C Sect 7 Labour Coy

Calais

Formerly  No 4 Sect of 3 Labour Coy

E Sect 21 Labour Coy

Havre

RE Section

Half E Sect  7 Lab Coy

Abbeville

Half Sect on command at Abbeville. Formerly No 2 Sect 19 Labour Bn

D Sect 20 Labour Coy

Abancourt

RE Section

E Sect 27 Labour Coy

Rouen

Edited by Terry_Reeves

35 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

No 4 Base Supply Depot Dieppe

Unit

Date of Arrival

From

Remarks

No 2 Depot Unit of Supply

Rouen

On opening of Depot

No 14

Rouen

On opening of Depot

No 129

Havre

For duty

No 133

Marseilles

For duty

No 148

Havre

For duty

No 154

Havre

For duty

No 187

Rouen

For duty

No 227

Rouen

For duty

No 26 Field Bakery

Havre

Nucleus new bakery

No 39 Field Bakery

Rouen

Nucleus new bakery

No 43 Field Bakery

Rouen

For duty

No 52 Field Bakery

Havre

For duty

No 27 Field Bakery

Rouen

For Duty

No 33 Field Bakery

Havre

For Duty

No 34 Field Bakery

Boulogne

For Duty

No 16 Field Bakery

Rouen

For Duty

A Sect 7 Labour Coy

Le Mans via Rouen

Orig detachment  of 11 Labour Coy. To Dieppe on opening of Depot

B Sect 7 Labour Coy

Rouen

Formerly No 2 Sect, 1 Labour Coy

D Sect 7 Labour Coy

Havre

Formerly No 4 Sect of 3 Labour Coy

C Sect 7 Labour Coy

Calais

Formerly  No 4 Sect of 3 Labour Coy

E Sect 21 Labour Coy

Havre

RE Section

Half E Sect  7 Lab Coy

Abbeville

Half Sect on command at Abbeville. Formerly No 2 Sect 19 Labour Bn

D Sect 20 Labour Coy

Abancourt

RE Section

E Sect 27 Labour Coy

Rouen

Thanks Terry - it's interesting to see what lay within the auspices of the depot.

Craig

25 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Thanks Terry - it's interesting to see what lay within the auspices of the depot.

Craig

There is an error on my part - in  C Section No 7  Labour Coy, Remarks. It should read "Formerly  No 1 Sect of 13 Labour Coy"

Thank you Craig and Terry.  This thread is turning out to be a very useful work of reference.  Is there any mechanism whereby Mods can anchor it into one place that can be easily found in perpetuity?

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you Craig and Terry.  This thread is turning out to be a very useful work of reference.  Is there any mechanism whereby Mods can anchor it into one place that can be easily found in perpetuity?

I've added the details to one of the forum blogs. Discussion can be kept here and the other data saved in to the blog (i'll add any more to the blog as it appears).

Craig

4 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I've added the details to one of the forum blogs. Discussion can be kept here and the other data saved in to the blog (i'll add any more to the blog as it appears).

Craig

Thank you Craig, that's an excellent solution I think.

• ss002d6252 changed the title to Base Depot Discussion & Questions