Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurses, Freemasons and Rangers

ilkley remembers

Wandering around Covent Garden and Bloomsbury yesterday morning and came across these memorials in the space of about  half an hour.  The memorial to Freemason VCs out side the Freemasons Hall off Drury Lane, the hospital on Endell Street and The Rangers (County of London Regiment) off Gower Street. 

freemasons vcs.jpg

endell hospital.jpg

rangers memorial.jpg

Edited by ilkley remembers

10 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

No less than they deserved. It seems that Louisa Garrett Anderson was the daughter of Elizabeth whose hospital on Euston Road we passed en route to Kings Cross

Edited by ilkley remembers

The Rangers memorial is just across the road, I think, from their old RHQ (now a vegetarian restaurant, some memory tells me). The memorial was tarted-u recently, much overdue. When I last visited a few years ago it was rather tatty and a repository for old (empty) bottles and a reasonable store of dog mess.

8 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

When I last visited a few years ago it was rather tatty and a repository for old (empty) bottles and a reasonable store of dog mess.

Hmmm, having had a look around the back of the memorial, it still is a repository for stomach contents. I can't help wondering if this memorial should be moved to a more fitting and appropriate location and given the number of rather pleasant public gardens locally this wouldn't be too difficult.  

19 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Hmmm, having had a look around the back of the memorial, it still is a repository for stomach contents. I can't help wondering if this memorial should be moved to a more fitting and appropriate location and given the number of rather pleasant public gardens locally this wouldn't be too difficult.  

Unfortunately, the public gardens thereabout are usually run by the London Borough of Camden- and beyond that, many have  further control by the Bedford Estate.  Not nowadays keen on cluttering up public space-especially to memorials of what was done by white, Anglo-Saxon males . After all,  the Great War was politically incorrect by today's standards.

The Rangers Memorial in Chenies Street -with the Tube deep vault built around it (John Betjeman-where were you when we needed you?)  has always been scruffy-I lived hard by as a student for 4 years.  (And, No, my stomach contents have never been used to adorn it- and my son's mutt is far too polite to do anything untoward in a public place)

A slight risk in all this is that-a la Rhodes at Brasenose-it may encourage a wholesale removal of "outmoded" memorials to some great disused car park- as has happened with viceregal statues in the Raj-sorry, India.