Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I've got my bullet back

T8HANTS

There are hundreds of WW1 bullets knocking about, but few can be dated as to when fired. 

This framed bullet was fired late afternoon on 12th August 1915, taking the eye of Rifleman Leonard Eldridge, in which it was lodged.

Leonard was part of the ill fated attack by 163 Brigade against the Turks at Suvla Bay

Apparently he plucked it out on the way to the dressing station.

He called it his lucky bullet, as it saved him from any further service, but he made a successful career for himself as the sports reporter for the Manchester Guardian.

I am indebted to his daughter, now sadly passed, for the gift.

It has just been returned to me after being on display for the last five years.

SAM_5215.JPG

Now that is a Great War souvenir, I like the fact that he just plucked it out before the RAMC got their hands on him

J

16 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Now that is a Great War souvenir, I like the fact that he just plucked it out before the RAMC got their hands on him

I trust that you are not making a sneaky reference here to how the RAMC was known in soldiers' slang as "Rob All My Comrades" :o

2 hours ago, trajan said:

I trust that you are not making a sneaky reference here to how the RAMC was known in soldiers' slang as "Rob All My Comrades" :o

Haha, not in the slightest trajan just the fact that he plucked out the niggling thing himself

Just a comment that the bullet was most likely pretty much spent by the time it hit the soldier - so it probably wasn't fired specifically at him.

46 minutes ago, MikB said:

Just a comment that the bullet was most likely pretty much spent by the time it hit the soldier - so it probably wasn't fired specifically at him.

I'm sure he'd have been glad to know! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2019 at 22:19, GWF1967 said:

I'm sure he'd have been glad to know! 

:thumbsup: