Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Bn,.Lancashire Fusiliers = 5 September 1915 - Bagshaw 24078

Matlock1418

A new post in a different forum - original in Gallipoli - perhaps some new minds to ponder/assist please ... In hope!

On 16/01/2019 at 14:15, Matlock1418 said:

Beyond the Bn's very innocuous War Diary entry for that day "Suvla Bay TRENCHES 5/9/15 Telephone communication with Brigade on our left"  ... I wonder if anyone has any further information (preferably from/with primary sources) about what was happening for the Bn. there that day ... ???

CWGC only show Pte. JL Bagshaw 24078 from the Bn dying that day [only arrived 28-8-15] - MIC says KiA, but ... circumstances of death??? 

CWGC don't appear to show anyone else from the Bn being killed/dying that day, so ... what was happening and how did he die???

And, exactly where was the Bn if at "Suvla Bay TRENCHES"?  ... Sounds very vague ... ??? [Previous to 1-9-15 at CHOCOLATE HILL, thereafter as described]

In hope ...

Thanks.

Matlock1418

Just a 'refresher' in case somebody has any more sources and/or ideas on what was going on with the 1st Battalion LF and/or cause of Pte Bagshaw's death

I'm wondering if dying from disease ???

All the press reports I have seen say "Killed" [as does his MIC], but ... ???

[Is being 'Killed' better than 'Dying' - more honourable/worthy/palatable for NoK?]

Thanks,

Matlock

Official records tended to stick to Died (which was death via illness, accident etc), Killed in Action, or Died of Wounds. Occasionally you see Accidentally Killed.

Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW) is usually very good at showing if a man 'Died' or whether it was some other case - these records were compiled from the service records. SDGW shows he was Killed in Action.

Killed in Action could be as simple as walking down a trench at the same time as an artillery shell  or being hit by a stray bullet behind the lines. It covered almost anything via enemy action, regardless of location.

Craig

6 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

SDGW shows he was Killed in Action

Thanks Craig, Had seen that, but didn't know that SDGW was compiled from SR {his is not available now}

Just puzzled why no hint of any 'action' on the day of his death [mention of an artillery bombardment a few days earlier] and yet no casualties recorded in WD for any early September date.

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

Thanks Craig, Had seen that, but didn't know that SDGW was compiled from SR {his is not available now}

Just puzzled why no hint of any 'action' on the day of his death [mention of an artillery bombardment a few days earlier] and yet no casualties recorded in WD for any early September date.

I've got mystery deaths with the 6th DLI that I've never been able to tie down - I suspect some happened behind the lines, away from the battalion. or whilst on attachment and so were simply not mentioned in the war diary by the writer on that day.

Craig

On 13 September the WD reads "Dysentery rather bad in the battalion - 107 sent to hospital" - appears quite an understatement really.

Any one got any ideas/details on where "Suvla Bay trenches" might have been?

I'm thinking north of the Salt Lake - Section C on some maps ???