Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

sat nav query

chaz

been travelling around the Somme to a few....a lot . of cemeteries as we do.

the car sat nav (Vauxhall ) needs updating for maps and as yet not been able to update the POI for war graves.

the garmin is well out of date, will cost as much to update as to buy a new one.

my query is that travelling around, we are not sure what happened as we are passing. has anyone thought about doing a layer for the sat nav with front lines or

battlefields that would explain . there are a few monuments covered on POI's but with poor internet reception and mobile connection its not always possible to check there and then but travelling 

around with the sat nav you could tell a front line appearing.....

2 hours ago, chaz said:

been travelling around the Somme to a few....a lot . of cemeteries as we do.

the car sat nav (Vauxhall ) needs updating for maps and as yet not been able to update the POI for war graves.

the garmin is well out of date, will cost as much to update as to buy a new one.

my query is that travelling around, we are not sure what happened as we are passing. has anyone thought about doing a layer for the sat nav with front lines or

battlefields that would explain . there are a few monuments covered on POI's but with poor internet reception and mobile connection its not always possible to check there and then but travelling 

around with the sat nav you could tell a front line appearing.....

Probably not exactly what you want Chaz (and a bit pricey too) but, occasionally, I use Linesman with my GPS enabled tablet and laptop when I want to plot exactly where i am in relation to the front line or certain trenches etc.  Not aware of anything POI based but would be interested.

Reg

thanks Reg, to be honest Im a bit techno blinkered , dont like using the data on my mobile as cant work out how much i can use. the mobile is just a phone that takes pictures and does around 50 texts a month. the ipad is basic non internet unless indoors. will look into linesman but what to use with, signal in our part of France is hopeless...

1 hour ago, chaz said:

thanks Reg, to be honest Im a bit techno blinkered , dont like using the data on my mobile as cant work out how much i can use. the mobile is just a phone that takes pictures and does around 50 texts a month. the ipad is basic non internet unless indoors. will look into linesman but what to use with, signal in our part of France is hopeless...

OK Chaz.  I understand.  Linesman is GPS based so doesn't use "data" as such and basically is free to use in that sense.  In my advancing years I find I need to use something that has a fair amount of real estate screenwise so that I can see what's going on.  Hence my use of a tablet or my more cumbersome 17" laptop.  You only need equipment that has GPS.  When loaded on to it, Linesman will then pick up where you are and shows you on whatever (trench) map on the screen - provided you have selected one of the maps that covers the area where you are!  It also has modern maps so that you can figure out where you are.  Their website will give you an idea of how it works but, as I said, it isn't cheap so it is for the dedicated battlefield explorer really.

Good luck.

Reg