Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy? Timber Name Stamp

Cassidy Medals

Just wondering if anyone could enighten me as to the age of these 2 x Royal Navy? Name Stamps.

Both to T. Cassidy. I got them together so I'm assuming they are to the same man. 

The older one is at the bottom of the photos, it is hand crafted from a single piece of timber. (Approx 120mm x 30mm x 15mm)

The newer one is at the top of the photos, it has separate letters held together via a backstrap. (Approx 105mm x 50mm x 12mm)

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers *Hopalong* Cassidy Medals

20190805_164549.jpg

20190805_164559.jpg

The top one in the photo looks very much like the one I was issued with in 1966.

John

My Grandfather hand carved his prior to WW1, as it was stolen along with a lot of other items, should anyone turn up a hand carved W.C.Sprack RN stamp I will pay for its return.

On 05/08/2019 at 20:37, John Milner said:

The top one in the photo looks very much like the one I was issued with in 1966.

John

So the top one is quite modern........ Thanks John...... 1966 what a great year.......that's the year I was born. :)

On 05/08/2019 at 20:40, T8HANTS said:

My Grandfather hand carved his prior to WW1, as it was stolen along with a lot of other items, should anyone turn up a hand carved W.C.Sprack RN stamp I will pay for its return.

The lower one is hand carved.......circa WW1 thanks T8Hants. 

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind 1966. The top one is the same as mine issued in 1985. You got it on day one at HMS Raleigh then spent a happy afternoon marking up your new kit.  

Having purchased the 2 x stamps together.........one being WW1 era the other being modern......... I'm thinking that they may have belonged to a Father & Son?? or perhaps two members of the same family?? Any ideas? 

• 10 months later...

I was sent a link to this Forum page by someone whose father served on the same ship as mine (HMS Warrior) - I contacted him as I have typed up my father's diary of 1954 about when he served on this ship.  Alsothough not related to the Great War I found my father's timber name stamp the other day in my loft!!!  Photo attached.  I was so pleased to have found it.  I wonder who carved them out?  My father didn't have that skill.  He joined the Navy in 1949 - so obviously had this timber name stamp given to him as part of his kit.  

0E4FB013-93B8-43F2-A0C7-E55910FA4908.jpeg

1923E26C-C820-4BCD-9502-DF6F6740CE36_1_201_a.jpeg

9B074F08-5A5B-4B05-97A6-7D051D8A0F77_1_201_a.jpeg

BFE1B40D-568D-40B9-9332-D4E45BADF2D3_1_201_a.jpeg

....on the second image down it looks as if whoever carved it had a little practice run at the "H"?

Hi Pussers Rum......Thanks for sharing photos of your father's name stamp.....Could you please advise the height of the lettering....I'll compare it to the ones I have....and keep a photo of yours as reference (1949)  

I have a bottle of Pusser's Rum in my cupboard......a nice drop I might add too........and it's one of the last things my father an EX RM SGT of 18 Years drank before he passed away.......Dad was in pallative care....his body was all but spent......he had stopped eating the day before and we knew he didn't have long to go......we (his 4 children) were by his bedside and wetting his mouth with a sponge and water.......we decided that Dad should go out in style....so we had a party in his room....we played his favorite music (Neil Diamond....1970's....etc) the music bought a smile to Dad's face......his body was failing but he was still with us......my brother bought a bottle of Pusser's Rum and asked Dad if he would like a tot....Dad was weak and hadn't moved much all day.......but he raised his arm and gave us the thumbs up....my brother poured a nip and then dipped one of the mouth sponges in the cup and soaked it all into the sponge.....then gave it to Dad....he sucked the sponge till it was almost dry......he had another tot later in the night.....we raised a toast to our Father before we drank ours........Dad passed away the next night.... he slipped away to cross the bar in true commando fashion......the ventilator was still plugging away in the morning when the nurse came to do her checks.....but Dad had left us about 2am....and we didn't even realise.  

A link to Dad's obituary is below....growing up he never really told me much about his service in the Marines....but when he was in decline I often sat with him and would ask him to tell me about his time in the Marines........he was immensely proud of his service.........a link to his obituary is below if you're interested to have a read. 

https://rmaq.com.au/ken-cassidy

Cheers

Gaz 

Thank you Gaz for you most interesting reply.  The depth of the lettering is about 1.5cm.  

My Dad loved Pusser's Rum, so I chose that as my user name!   He loved his "tot" of rum!   Thank you for the link to your father's obituary - what a fascinating man, and a long and distinguished service record.  You must be very proud of him.  How lovely he enjoyed a "tot" (of sorts!) on his death bed with his family around him - what a way to go!  You certainly gave him a wonderful send off.    When my dad was on HMS Warrior (a light  aircraft carrier - I see your father served on one too) - he kept a diary (1954) - nothing a note in there especially - just the daily routine of a rating - but he often refers to his "tot" of rum and he loved his sippers. In fact it was sending the diary to someone online who put me in touch with this forum about the timber name stamp.  this is the link to my father's diary http://brisray.com/dad/Smith.htm

The measures meets are attached.  I also attach photos of the ends because I see that the stamp actually does not appear to be a solid piece of wood, but rather ply wood fused together?  Anyway I was delighted I found it as I have so very little left of my dad's navy days, so i will treasure this! 

IMG_2926.jpeg

IMG_2927.jpeg

IMG_2925.jpeg

IMG_2924.jpeg

IMG_2928.jpeg

Hi Pussers Rum....... Thanks for sending across more photos and measurements.... I looked at your Dad's diary......great work.....awesome photos..... I have all of my Dad's RM photos and three photo albums (1) BCOF - on the Rhine, in Germany 1957? (2) Cyprus  (3) HMS Protector on his trip to Antartica. ......and photos from throughout his service career....I've started putting the stories he told me into a time line and I've also started researching the background relating to his service abroad......some conflicts have been easy to research....others not so.....I was hoping to one day have it complete enough to form his life story........and I've always thought that putting it on the web would be a nice tribute.......as you know it's a big job......thank you for sharing your father's diary....it's given me some motivation to keep soldering on. Perhaps a tot of Pusser's Rum might help in that department too!!    

Cheers for now

Gaz

Hi Gaz  -  I would really encourage you when you get the time to start journalling all your memories and getting together all the photos you have and yes putting it up online.  The website which hosts my father's 1954 diary isn't mine - it belongs to Ray Williams whose father was a stoker on the same ship as my Dad.

When I googled "HMS Warrior" his website came up so I contacted him.  He was delighted and took it upon himself to put up my Dad's diary in view of the fact our dads had served on the same ship.

Here is his website which is really more about his own father and the ships he served on.  http://brisray.com/dad/   He lives in Illinois now, he's very friendly, if you contact dhim I'm sure he might be able to give you any good tips about starting a website.  You might be surprised at how many people started to contact you.  I know Ray has found that - people from all over the world have got in touch with him because his website has flashed up when they googled the ships his father served on.  So you never know!

All the best, and go for it!!
Dawn

Edited by Pusser's Rum