Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Harry Day, 4th B'n Essex Regt.

jnickwilliams

I am researching my wife's great grandfather Harry Day (1860-1922) and am try ing to find out what happened to him in the War.

He was attested into the 4th B'n. Essex Regiment no. 1966 on 5.8.1914, but was discharged on 22.8.1914 as unfit to serve (he was 54). His attestation document shows he had previously served in the 1st B'n Shropshire Light Infantry (probably around 1880) and the the City Imperial Volunteers (1899-1900 presumably).

I have now found that he was a Pte in Eastern/London/SE Command, England with service number S/1402. Can anyone help with which unit this might have been? I know that he was visited by his son who was on leave in 6.1917 at the War Office, Whitehall. There is a photo of him with his wife Emily in which has has campaign medals and sergeants stripes: they both look fairly old. Any information about this or his earlier units (off topic, apologies) would be greatly appreciated.

best regards,

Nick

I have now found that he was a Pte in Eastern/London/SE Command, England with service number S/1402.

Where did you find this from ?

Craig

Hi Craig,

It is from Ancestry UK Pension Ledgers: I was given it by a friend. It is the right person as the date of death  (3.4.1922) and wife are correct. I am guessing that after being declared unfit for active service in 1914 he managed to get an administrative appointment in the Army: he was literate and ran a tailoring business in civilian life.

Nick