Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US M1910 Bolo knife...

Len S

Here's a US M1910 Bolo knife and scabbard I recently acquired. The 1910's blades were made in the "white" with just the metal handle blued with the blue extending about a quarter inch onto the blade. The bolo locked to the scabbard by means of a spring latch in the handle that mates with a protruding stud on the scabbard. This feature was deleted from the later M1917 bolo knife. I've  read that about 60,000 M1910's were made between 1911-17. This weapon was primarily intended for machine gunners to aid them in clearing paths of fire. They wound up in the hands of infantrymen as well though. A member of New York's "Harlem Hell Fighters" won renown for defending his listening post in no man's land from a German raiding party with his bolo after expending his ammunition. Here are some pics.

Len

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bolo knives were also issued to Hospital Units to cut saplings.  The saplings would be wrapped in blankets to form a stretcher for moving casualties

As you stated were also used by machine gun units to clear fields of fire around gun positions

Fascinating item! One of the ideas behind the introduction of the German 98/05 'Butcher bayonet' was - it seems - that it could be used machette style fo clearing paths, making fascines, etc., the sawback version being specifically for pioniers = sappers..

Yes The Private Johnson incident at Ville Sur Tourbie.

Edited by Martin Feledziak
Because it is included in the OP

There is also a second pattern scabbard issued by the US in 1918.  It is of stamped, ribbed metal.  The color is deep olive.  There is no stud to capture the snap on the earlier models of the 1910 , but it will accept either bolo.   If Chris is back from "over-there" I will ask him to post a photo for me.

new3.2

Thanks for posting that image Mark.

new3.2