Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mindless mentality

chaz

Some people! Makes you wonder...

in the past we have been to cemeteries where the farmers have left munitions nearby. Today at Guamape, I nearly ran over a 'live' shell while parking on the side of the road. Ok, probably acceptable, my ignorance for not looking...

after leaving the CWGC experience we headed towards vis-en-Artois cemetery to photo a few panels. For those not familiar, the panels are at the furthest end of the cemetery, on leaving the steps... Some clever $#!t has left a grenade against a pilar. Any youngster could have picked it up BUT as there are no farm fields adjacent whoever left it, had to carry it to the cemetery and from the main road through the grave stones to the panels.

i can add a picture but poor internet prevents.

Sadly I suspect in the case of the grenade the old "if it hasn't gone bang in 100 years, it won't now" attitude prevails.

I look at third time unlucky !

First handle into the gun,

second, the farmer moves it.

third ........I'm not going to risk it. 

There's always one.  Many years ago, 1983 I believe, I was on a tour of the Ypres Salient with the Western Front Association and we were stopped off somewhere, can't remember where at this remove, listening to John Giles speaking, when a voice said "Look what I've found", and one of the group appeared with an earth encrusted Mills bomb in his hand.  You've never seen a group starfish as fast in your life!  Someone shouted "Put the £$/%**"( thing down - CAREFULLY!"  The individual did so, with a slightly hurt expression on his face.  I can remember his name, but will refrain from giving it here, for all I know he may be a member of the forum.

I know a cemetery on the Somme where the gardeners used to leave the grenades they found by the compost heap. Hardly high security. I expect visitors took away as many as the EOD team did. 

few years ago on a walk a friend found what looked like a shellcase encaked in mud… harmless, right??

Except that when he came home and started to soak the mud off, it appeared the fuse was still on … not a case but rather a dud!!

He stopped everything, carefully put the thing on his bike in the middle of the night and dumped it back in the moat where he found it …

M.