Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

laughton

This might be the man, just a start, as I have never researched an Indian soldier prior to this case. They all seem to be attached to this unit in September 1915. Here are the CWGC links for the men:

Rifleman PARTIMAN SUNWAR

Service Number 1451

Died 25/09/1915

1st Bn. 
7th Gurkha Rifles

attd. 2nd Bn. 
2nd King Edward's Own Gurkha Rifles (The Sirmoor Rifles)

I havee asked @Chris_Baker if he can lend me a hand in finding his unit on the LLT. With that, perhaps I can dind the war diary?

I relates to the man in the top line of this COG-BR, the only "hit" on the search. So much easier for us in 2019 with computers.

doc2113970.JPG

It was not the March 1915 action at Neuve-Chapelle, so I need to confirm there were there at the time. Those that have known graves, with COG-BR references appear to have been recovered from 36a.L.34.b.8.8. This fellow was found at 36.M.30.c.1.4. Althoug 36 is on the right border of 36a, that is a 6,500 yard separation distance.

Just a shot in the dark, more to follow!

Richard 

a case on this Soldier has already been to the CWGC by a Nigel Marshall 

@nigelgmarshall on Twitter 

Edited by Cheshire22

Yes, I submitted the case for consideration to CWGC at the end of April 2019.

I've not yet received any word from them on it or the others submitted at the same time, but I'll report back should anything come of it.

Cheers,

Nigel

It was not on the list - guess I need an update from David.

Nothing here on the GWF either.

Good luck with the case, off I go!

Edited by laughton

I didn't submit the case as part of any organised group or project, just as a private individual.

I'd been doing some work on the locations from which some of the men I've been researching were concentrated into Cabaret Rouge from, and saw this unknown soldier with a partial name and service number.

Thanks for the wish of luck.

Cheers,

Nigel

I added it to the blog list here: https://www.greatwarforum.org/blogs/entry/1750-categories-of-the-unknown-cases/

If you don't want it mentioned, I can remove that link.

I research these as an individual as well, but I do often work in tanget with other researchers worldwide.

7 hours ago, laughton said:

It was not on the list - guess I need an update from David.

Nothing here on the GWF either.

Good luck with the case, off I go!

I do research and submit case independently as well, 

i did make a suggestion last year about forming a group of British researchers to look at the cobs and GRRF or become part of the In From The Cold Project 

but no replies back, there I have decided to go it a lone 

For the benefit of the group, these are the cases that have been logged for Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery: (list as of 30 April 2019)

• 451 - Prviate and 2 Second Lieutenants 7.D.3., 7.D.4, 7.F.1
  • 487 - Private 25.G.26
  • 504 - Corporal 7.B.3
  • 550 - Sergeant 28.F.1
  • 575 - Captain and Lieutenant 17.AA.45, 17.AA.46
  • 576 - Private 20.F.13
  • new - Private 18.A.4 (upgraded from changed memorial to found)
  • new - Lance Corporal 6.G.17

The 576 case is the last on the list that I have. That is an interesting one as the GRRF says it is a Corporal? Cases 451 and 504 are my submissions. I do not get information about who submitted the other cases, only that they have been logged.

Edited by laughton
added cases without numbers

16 hours ago, laughton said:

Those that have known graves, with COG-BR references appear to have been recovered from 36a.L.34.b.8.8.

On the matter of the war diary search, as this may be of assistance to others in the future searching these files:

That puzzled me and I could not find the war diary. Interesting though that the war diary for the 1/9th Gurkha Rifles refers to them being relieved by the 2nd Gurkhas (may not be the same as "2nd Bn. 2nd King Edward's Own Gurkha Rifles (The Sirmoor Rifles)") in the vicinity of La Gorgue 36a.L.34 and Meriville 36a.K.29. That is the location where Rifleman Seturam Borathok of that unit was recovered at 36a.L.34.b.8.8 (COG-BR 2040813) on 10 September 1915.

For reference, lhe listing for that is 7th Indian (Meerut) Division, 20th (Garhwal) Indian Infantry Brigade (war diary page 34 of 459). If you go back to the front of that war diary, it appears to have more content that does not appear in the Ance$try listings. It starts with the 2/8th Gurkha Rifles (war diary page 2 of 459). I did not see them listed in the war diary index. That is followed by the 2nd/3rd Gurkha Rifles (war diary page 99 of 459). They appear to be west of Aubers in a gas attack of their own on 25 September 1915 (war diary page 309 of 459), somewhere around the distillery, which places them in close proximity to where the remains were recovered in 36.M.30. One of the officers killed (Jemadar Padamdhoj Chettri) gives us the correct unit name as "2nd Bn. 3rd Queen Alexandra's Own Gurkha Rifles".

One of the war diary message pages (war diary page 332 of 459) refers to the Moated Grange at 36.M.30.c.15.30 which is the location of interest. Our man must have been in that area. The units appear to be the 2/3rd Gurkhas, 2nd Leicesters and 2/8th Gurkhas. We are looking of the 2/2nd Gurkhas so perhaps the record of the man, or his attachment, is in error? Nope, it is correct ...... as below:

There we have a clue (war diary page 347 of 459) that they relieved the "Dehra Dun Brigade" which appears to have included the  7 Indian (Meerut) Division 19 (Dehra Dun) Indian Infantry Brigade 2/2 Battalion Gurkha Rifles. So they were in the area!

The only reference to the19th Dehra Dun Brigade is thus the 1/9th Gurkha Rifles, which if we accept Wikipedia is in the same brigade. So that must be what was referenced as the "2nd Gurkhas" in the relief. Also in that group are the 1st Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders (LLT Link). They are mentioned in the 1/9th war diary (page 190 of 207). On the following page it references the 1/9th taking over the line from the 2nd Gurkhas. They are at the Moated Grange, so the location is now verified.

The LLT link with the 19th (Dehra Dun) Infantry Brigae in the 7th Meerut Division appears:

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/7th-meerut-division/

1st Seaforth Highlanders, September 1915 (war diary page 203 of 322). Details for 25 September 1915 (war diary page 214 of 322). Operational Order 55 gives the locations on 22 September 1915 (war diary page 230 of 322). Operational Order 58 for 24 September 1915 (war diary page 244 of 322) and the final one of 25 September 1915 with a trench map (war diary page 250 of 322; page 253 of 322). The Moated Grange is in the lower right of the trench map sketch.

Edited by laughton
added 1st Seaforth's information