Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HAIG's observation point/s for Somme offensive

Fraser Thomson

Hello there.

I'm off to revisit the Somme battlefields in June/July this Summer. The last time there, it was wet and very cold, so I did absolutely no walking at all. This time round, with a pal, I'm leaving the car completely out of the question, and walking from Auchonvilliers, to wherever a days walk takes me, eastwards, following the general progress of the offensive. I have loads of reference maps, and from general accounts, I know roughly where the men attacked.

What I am curious about, is the whereabouts of Gen. Haig's observation point/s.

I'm not sure he had any clue as to what was actually happening to the attacking parties, as I'm sure you'll agree. It's well known, he thought the barbed wires were atomised by the shelling.

[Not sure exactly why I want to know where HE was positioned, but I am haunted by the whole Somme valley, and this facination drives me to gain more knowledge on the personalities involved].

Perhaps he was mobile, mounted with fellow Cavalrymen?

I've searched with Google for this obscure inquiry, and there is absolutely no mention of his position/s at all.

Did he have effective communication with the front line officers? Was it reliable communication? Was he certain of his success? Are the rumours of his boozing true? And if so, was he in a decent state of mind to effectively command so many battalions? Hell, were the lads on the attack full of rum? Could any man, tired and weary from sleep deprivation, really give a damn about mounted machine guns pointing at them?

Sorry, if these questions offend anyone, but I must know. I also apologise if there are too many queries for any quick, definitive answers.

Cheers.

From what I have read I don't think Haig was near enough to actually observe the opening of the Somme offensive. I'm sure someone will know exactly where he was located on July the 1st.

However, Rawlinson was close enough, at the "Grandstand" naer Dernancourt, about 1 mile SW of Albert.

In terms of effective communication, once the battle started then communication was in the lap of the gods: wires could be cut, runners killed and so communication would be extremely poor.

Some experts to add more please!

Alan

Here is a website with Haig's Despatches. They might provide you with some additional insite.

Sir Douglas Haig's Despatches as British Commander-in-Chief, 1916-19

When Douglas Haig was appointed Commander-in-Chief of the British Armies operating in France and Flanders in December 1915 he was expected to follow in the tradition of his predecessors with the periodical submittal of despatches from the Front, each detailing the progress of his armies' campaigns since the last such report. Haig thus ensured delivery of eight despatches covering British operations from December 1915 until the war's close in November 1918.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/haig_despatches.htm

According to the Official History, Rawlinson "remained the whole day in his room at his headquarters at Querrieu". During the afternoon he was visited by Haig who, on 27th June, had moved to his advanced HQ at Chateau Valvion, Beauquesne, 12 miles ENE of Albert (10 miles north of Querrieu). Given the need for both men to be in constant contect with all of the parts of their commands (predominantly by phone) I doubt whether either travelled very far from their HQs except for Haig's visit. Personal observation of any one point on a twenty mile front would have been rather pointless.

OK, thanks very much guys. Just as I thought, he kept well away.

I had some grand visions of Haig & Rawlinson shouting orders down from observation posts looking towards the high ground. Cheers bmac for the information regarding places. Querrieu and Chateau Valvion, Beauquesne, are on my list to research. I'm trying to find some some decent trench maps from the area online, to keep with me on my walks, I want to 'feel' the place as much as possible - hopefully, I'll find non dangerous souvenirs like shrapnel etc in the dirt.

Those Bosch sure were dug in tight in this area, with miles of support trenches, what a mammoth task it all was. Can't help wonder if more secrecy, and a shorter bombardment, may have caught them off guard and saved more lives, probably not, but 7.30am, in the middle of summer, with the sun shining? Why not a 2am raid?? Harder to machine gun troops in the dark, I must stop wondering...

I'm off to post some more topics regarding trench maps, booze & this years 89th anniversary in July, when I'll be there.

Thanks again.

• 10 months later...

Here is an expanded website list of Field Marshall Haig's despatches as noted on the CEF Study Group:

Sir Douglas Haig's Despatches as British Commander-in-Chief, 1916-1919

When Douglas Haig was appointed Commander-in-Chief of the British Armies operating in France and Flanders in December 1915 he was expected to follow in the tradition of his predecessors with the periodical submittal of despatches from the Front, each detailing the progress of his armies' campaigns since the last such report. Haig thus ensured delivery of eight despatches covering British operations from December 1915 until the war's close in November 1918.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/haig_despatches.htm

Sir Douglas Haig's 1st Despatch (St Eloi), 19 May 1916

Primary Documents from FirstWorldWar.com website. [Mike Duffy website]

http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/haigsteloidespatch.htm

Sir Douglas Haig's 2nd Despatch (Somme), 23 December 1916

http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/haigsommedespatch.htm

Sir Douglas Haig's 3rd Despatch (German Retreat to the Hindenburg Line), 31 May 1917

http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/haighi...urgdespatch.htm

Sir Douglas Haig's 4th Despatch (1917 Campaigns), 25 December 1917

http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/haigca...917despatch.htm

Sir Douglas Haig's 5th Despatch (Cambrai Operations), 20 February 1918

http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/haigcambraidespatch.htm

Sir Douglas Haig's Despatch 6 - Great German Offensive, 20 July 1918

(not yet published online)

Sir Douglas Haig's Despatch 7 - Advance to Victory, 21 December 1918

(not yet published online)

Sir Douglas Haig's Sir Douglas Haig's Final Despatch, 21 March 1919

http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/haiglastdespatch.htm

OK, thanks very much guys. Just as I thought, he kept well away.

, I must stop wondering...

I'm off to post some more topics regarding trench maps, booze & this years 89th anniversary in July, when I'll be there.

Thanks again.

I don't think he kept well away. He moved up as close as could, keeping in mind his need to keep in touch with a twenty mile front. He was still running the war in the rest of France and Flanders as well.

Don't stop wondering. All of these questions have been asked many times and most of them are still being asked. It's only by worrying away at them that we can hope to arrive at some understanding.

:rolleyes: It is also essential that you take up a position in the pro/anti Haig debate and defend it to your utmost ability. Knowledge is not essential for this debate, it can be replaced, wholly or in part, by strongly held opinion. :D

Fraser - this sounds like a great trip. Now that its past is there any chance you could share a few pics and maybe a little about what you learned on the adventure. Thanks, Andy